Where to buy oem tires? - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-23-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where to buy oem tires?

Iím having trouble finding contisportcontact tires in a 235/45 19 99Y size. Any reason for that? Any recommended vendor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if the exact OEM tires are only available through a Mercedes Benz dealer? It seems like sometimes the auto makers have the tire makers create a "special" OEM tire that gets put on at the factory. Then after a few years they can get more difficult to find.

Otherwise I've been happy with Discount Tire for many years, but I typically bring my wheels in OFF the car (summer/winter wheel sets), depending on which vehicle it has been. They can get the "factory approved" or OEM tires, and they've found discontinued OEM tires for me in the past. I've used Tire Rack for race rubber a few times.

To hesitate is a waste of time.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
tirerack.com
discouttiredirect.com

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE,AMS TITANIUM STRUT BAR, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX 200 cel DOWN PIPE, AMR PERFORMANCE STG2

post #4 of 33 Old 05-24-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks caug, I could have been more specific in my line of questioning:

My GLA45 came with contisportcontact tires in size 235/45 ZR 19 99Y. Where can I buy this exact tire besides the dealer?

I have been happy with the performance of this tire, and want to explore a second source. But I have not been able to find this tire through google, tirerack, amazon, etc. Has anyone bought these tires and not gone through the dealer?
post #5 of 33 Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
FWIW, Pam's 45 had 20s and when we swapped her tires I went to Michelin PS4. Love them but I realize this isn't what you're looking for.

But if you do go in this direction use caution ... When you run the width / profile / wheel size math Michelin tires are shorter than Contis. We sent the first tires back and exchanged for a different size after my tire guy pointed out the error.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-24-2019, 08:49 AM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Whiterabbit, you do not show your location. You should update your User CP, this can be done by in the upper right corner of the screen, click on User CP and follow directions. Different parts of the country have different tire stores. I also think you are looking for ContiSportContact 5P and not just ContiSportContact. In my area, NTB Tire & Service Center has them listed on their website.

https://www.ntb.com/sku/sku4060207/contisportcontact-5p

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black
post #7 of 33 Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
... I have not been able to find this tire through google, tirerack, amazon, etc. Has anyone bought these tires and not gone through the dealer?
I have not looked for the 19's you are looking for, but Discount Tire in my area was able to find the OEM 20's on my GLA45 (and other vehicles I have). You won't be able to find it on their website though. You have to go there in person and talk to one of the employees that is familiar with the process. The website just has the "easy" stuff listed. For factory approved and OEM options, you need to be there in person. They employees have access to much more information than the website. Definitely a hassle compared to going online and clicking the order button, but sometimes a little effort is worth the results.

I have not compared the prices for OEM tires between the dealer and the tire store though. Could end up being the same price for all I know.

To hesitate is a waste of time.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I just received a postcard this week from MB advertising their OEM tires. It came with a coupon as well. Although I am soon due to replace the OEM Conti's, I couldn't see the point in buying tires from the dealer. Now maybe I get it.. maybe those particular OEM 20" conti's are only available through the dealer. I be pursuing something else anyhow, but now the dealer postcard makes a bit more sense I guess.

- 16 AMG GLA45, optioned to the gills
- 12 Wrangler, 37's, mountain climber convertible
- 07 Shelby GT3249 of 5763, 530whp, [email protected] , 7521' DA
post #9 of 33 Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA 250 AWD and FWD (yes, 2)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
In recent years dealer service dept's in my area are actually very competitive on tire prices, and of course assured OEM. In fact I bought my last set for my Audi from same.

2018 GLA 250 AWD in MA and FWD in FL
post #10 of 33 Old 05-27-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post
I just received a postcard this week from MB advertising their OEM tires. It came with a coupon as well. Although I am soon due to replace the OEM Conti's, I couldn't see the point in buying tires from the dealer. Now maybe I get it.. maybe those particular OEM 20" conti's are only available through the dealer. I be pursuing something else anyhow, but now the dealer postcard makes a bit more sense I guess.
Honestly, what would you get besides the OEM's? they stick like glue and the performance in the rain is nearly as good. Unless it snows alow in westminster and you want to run only one set of tires, is there a reason you would move away from the OEM times? I've been very satisfied with them.

And only dreading dealer markups on what would otherwise (unless a dealer exclusive) be a routine part purchase and maintenance. But if they end up being competitive on pricing...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page