Where to buy oem tires? - Page 4 - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 06-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
For example, The Conti's that came on my car have a UTQG rating of 240 and a Traction rating of AA.

The RE-71R's have a UTQG rating of 200 and a Traction rating of A.

The traction rating would suggest that the Conti's are more grippy, but I am completely convinced the RE-71R's are much more grippy as I've driven them both. I go way more by the UTQG rating than the Traction rating.

To hesitate is a waste of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OK, so I'm going in 1000 directions with this since I don't know yet exactly where I want to take this car.

BUT, I'm looking at another option, given the idea of running those Falken tires.

So, if the contisportcontacts are $300 each (that's about what the dealer charges), then that's the "budget". If the falkens are $150 a pop, I can consider buying a wheel for $150 and for the same price, go with a wider falken, then every change after that I make money on cost of ownership.

If I look at Discount Tire, I can get Falken 265/35-20's for $185, and I can get this wheel for $203:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-wheels/drag-dr-77#

The net effect is an identical theoretical wheel diameter (-0.09%), a 9" wheel, and the option to either keep running with falkens, or go to any high performance tire in the 265/35-20 range in the falkens are a dud, which includes contisportcontacts and also the Michelin 4S. Tho those are now at the $300+ each mark. But by then I've already worn through a set of Falkens so the wheels are "paid for".

The wheels have an offset of 22, which, when compared with an OEM wheel of offset 43.5 means 8mm MORE clearance on the inside, and the wheel sticks out an extra 34mm which may or may not be an issue.

The overall cost is $88 more per corner for a parts-cost of $1550 instead of $1200 for the FIRST year. Every year after that tire replacement, assuming the falkens are good would be $740 parts cost, at a savings of $460 per year from cost of ownership. This all assumes the install costs are equal no matter the option selected.

The other factor is a ~10lb increase in both rotating and sprung weight, which I don't know if that's a big deal or not. Also my OEM's are 19", so I don't know if the 20's would decrease my ride quality much when on the street. Also, I don't know if that wheel/tire combo would have stiff sidewalls or not when cornering, the contis are pretty good there.

---------------------

And the backup plan if the wheels and tires get bought and suck, is to get the 225 falkens for hte OEM wheel, and save the bought wheels for track days with an expensive tire, set up when I get a good bonus some year in the future or whatever/whenever. Or just sell the wheels at <$100ea and move on in life.

-------------------

Sounds like a decent plan.... Though the RE71R doesn't come in that size, so I'm "limited" on the cool tires I can choose from that don't cost $400 a pop...

you guys see any gotchas? It seems not unreasonable to me...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snip.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	24276  

Last edited by Whiterabbitt; 06-06-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #33 of 48 Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I think the overall plan is sound, and the math adds up. Good research! It took me a while to go over everything.

My thoughts:
Those particular Falkens (if I found the same ones?) have a UTQG of 300, compared to the 240 on the Conti's you like now. You would likely notice the difference in less grip. I think you'll also notice the stiffer ride with the 20" wheels and shorter sidewalls. That "harsher" ride doesn't bother me at all, but some prefer a smoother ride so their teeth don't rattle out. The ~10lb weight gain is a bummer, but not sure if it would be directly noticeable or not?

Might be worth the experiment though. See if the 9" wide rims fit with that offset, and see if you notice much downgrade of performance switching to a tire with a 300 UTQG rating from 240. Like you said, you can always sell the rims and try something else down the road.

Discount Tire in my area is showing the 19" OEM Conti's at $263 each. That is of course before any taxes and other fees they always need to add.

To hesitate is a waste of time.

post #34 of 48 Old 09-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Car Year & Model: 2017 AMG GLA 45
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in Washington state and found the stock tires were no good in the snow. Typical summer weather tire issues where the traction control was freaking out and braking was less than ideal.

I ended up with a screw in a sidewall and had to replace the OEM's in any case. I was admittedly quite lazy and went to Les Schwab and got some all season tires from there. They work well enough, they're Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. They don't have enough wet weather traction for my taste, but do work great in the snow and also dry weather.

I see a few others up in northern climates - I see the Conti ExtremeContact DW06 recommended earlier are all season. Have those worked out well for any of you trying those?

I'm not looking for track tires, but its nice to be able to take turns with confidence instead of a bit of grip loss and feeling like the traction control is going to take over.
post #35 of 48 Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Personally, I have done zero research into tires not Y rated. It’s the first filter I set when looking for tires. If I track the car how I would like, it’s not going to be autocross where the speeds are slower... I also live in california and won’t take the car to the snow, so I have the luxury of focussing entirely on y rated summer tires.

I do have to wonder if I am leaving something on the table in terms of tire compound by not searching for W rated tires. I doubt I’ll have the car going over 168 in its lifetime....

Anyways, sorry, I’m not gonna be a resource for that subject.
post #36 of 48 Old 09-12-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re-reviewing America’s Tire, they suggest as an alternative 255-40-19 which is 1.09% smaller in diameter. But there are TONS of all season tires in this size.

Only issue is that Americas Tire website is the only resource I can find that suggests this size is OK to run on our cars as a replacement. Every other website says 8.5” is the minimum width to run such a tire.
post #37 of 48 Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45 Cirrus White
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i know quite a few people switched to 245/40R20 as it has many more options. I'll be doing that too once my OEM ones are worn out. just debating if i should go with run flat or take my chances...
post #38 of 48 Old 09-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmojo View Post
I live in Washington state and found the stock tires were no good in the snow. Typical summer weather tire issues where the traction control was freaking out and braking was less than ideal.

I ended up with a screw in a sidewall and had to replace the OEM's in any case. I was admittedly quite lazy and went to Les Schwab and got some all season tires from there. They work well enough, they're Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. They don't have enough wet weather traction for my taste, but do work great in the snow and also dry weather.

I see a few others up in northern climates - I see the Conti ExtremeContact DW06 recommended earlier are all season. Have those worked out well for any of you trying those?

I'm not looking for track tires, but its nice to be able to take turns with confidence instead of a bit of grip loss and feeling like the traction control is going to take over.

I used the dws on 18 inch rims with a 50 profile so lots of sidewall, they were ok in the dry but in the snow sketchy and not at all safe feeling. I switched those out to severe duty 3pmsf severe duty all seasons (goodyear assurance) and way better with no sliding. I recently put the 20s back on with the oem sport contacts and i forgot how much better that setup is on twisty roads, the front end is quicker and more precise. So i bet the toyos are better than dws in the snow and less money
post #39 of 48 Old 10-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45 AMG
I received confirmation from Continental that the OEMs are no longer being made in 235/45/19. Looks like I will have to do 245/40/19 or 255/40/19 when I need new tires.....

Last edited by Samfsu; 10-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #40 of 48 Old 10-24-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That’s heart breaking. There are no tires that compare to the contis in that size. Even in the close sizes, the weight ratings are in the 94’s which has me a little concerned.

Do 255’s even fit our wheels? “The Internet” tells me that 245 is the max width on an 8” wheel. But 245’s are 2.2% down. The 255 is 1.1% down which is livable, and there’s even an option in the P-zero Corsa which looks like a possible winner, though still only 96 load rating.

Everything else looks like a downgrade from the conti.

But will 255’s fit?

———

With a downgrade, may as well run Faulkens which cost half of these other options are are at least found on cars like the tesla model s and panamera.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page