Exhaust valve issue - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust valve issue

Exhaust valve makes clicking noise as if trying to engage or find correct setting while sitting. Happens intermittently. Dealer has repaired three times and is now stating it’s normal. Anybody else have this issue? Is it normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Welcome to the GLA forum. It will help answer your question if you add your location, as this is an international group, as well as year and model GLA. Best to add it to your member profile from the User CP link on the upper right of most browsers. That information will then display each time you post.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandiv View Post
Exhaust valve makes clicking noise as if trying to engage or find correct setting while sitting. Happens intermittently. Dealer has repaired three times and is now stating itís normal. Anybody else have this issue? Is it normal?
unplug the wire when the valve open and forget about it.
It will sound better and no more clicking. no check engine as well.

C

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE,AMS TITANIUM STRUT BAR, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX 200 cel DOWN PIPE, AMR PERFORMANCE STG2

post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had this issue at initial startup especially in the morning. I never took it in. Didn’t know what it was exactly until I took that valve out when I straight piped my GLA45. It’s a pretty cheap design that valve. I would tell you to replace it with a better exhaust valve however the way it is wired , 3 wires, I can not figure out except for ground. I have one wire always hot at battery voltage. One wire ground and the last wire shows a very low voltage. It stays the same whether I press the dual exhaust button or not.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm planning on bypassing mine altogether. Dealer just tried to stick me for $900 to replace the actuator (which by their own admission only needed to be cleaned).

There's a video on U-jube of an AMG tech bypassing the valve on his own car (A45). He basically warmed it up, put it in sport, and then turned it off (allegedly leaving the valve open). Then he disconnected it, plugged the end into a replacement connector, and then taped everything up to keep it waterproof.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Happened to me just before end of warranty. I know exactly what's going on (I believe, anyways).

There is a clock spring that attaches the motor to the flap. It's a bent coathanger (basically) and snaps real easy. I'll bet that in your car the clockspring broke. It's a coupler designed to break first so you don't break the motor or the flap.

You can prove it easily by removing the motor. It's just two bolts, easy to install and remove. With the motor dropped you can see if the coupler is intact or broken. You can at that point also rotate the flap by hand. But you can't leave it because exhaust pressure will close or open the flap (I forget which), so you need the motor and the coupler intact to hold the flap in position if you want to bypass it, or to actuate it properly if you want that function.

ooh, found a pic:

https://apollo-ireland.akamaized.net...mage;s=644x461

Unfortunately, I can't find a part number for the coupler, only the motor. It's A1769060501. Looks like the only sell it as part of the motor?

It's not cheap.

Now I hope mine doesn't break again.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-05-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Meh, just weld it open and call it a day

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page