8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Potential Buyer: Help Me Out (2015 AMG - 30K miles)

Hi All!

I was looking for a smaller SUV/Hatch and an 2015 AMG caught my eye. Took it for a drive and loved it. I was optimistically looking for something 2017 or newer, but for the same(ish) money, vs. a 2017 GLA250 I can get the AMG GLA45.

I'm a little worried about the Nav/UI/Backup camera as even on the test drive it felt laggy and slow - and would love Car Play or Android Auto but wasn't sure if that was something easily upgraded or just I'm SOL.

Had a few questions!

1. Reliability concerns or things I should look for on the car?
2. Owner feedback in general, rattles, just quality control stuff to watch for? Most reviews I have watched/read state that it's not really worth $60k+ but in this situation I'm looking at under 28,000 which seems like a steal for the performance, miles, and fit/finish
3. Regrets?

I never even considered Mercedes in my hunt for a new(ish) car but love this hatch and am having trouble finding anything comparable in a 25-30k budget.

My other option I'm entertaining is a 2017 GLA250 CPO from the local Mercedes dealer, which comes with another year of warranty (bumper to bumper until 2022) for about $4k less, which I'm also considering. From what I can see, it may be possible to do an ECU flash or tune to squeeze more power out of that, along with getting carplay and just a newer model year, but missing the better brakes, quality interior and other stuff.

Last edited by KCface; 04-26-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-27-2019, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Welcome to the GLA forum! I’m not an AMG owner but can offer a couple general comments. First, 2015 was the first GLA production year for US deliveries. There were several improvements including transmission and backup video screen that were improved in 2016 then other incremental upgrades each year thereafter. Depending on your comfort level, CPO is a good option where you might be able to negotiate additional warranty or other benefits. If Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are important to you, then you’ll want a GLA built after 1 December 2015 (mid-year 2016 model or later) and so-equipped, though you will find some workarounds here plus some dealers are doing retrofits.

Suggest you use our Search function (upper right on most browsers) to get more specific information you might be interested in. We have a large body of knowledge on MY 2015 GLAs. Hopefully other owners will join in with more specific experience.

BTW, you might want to share where you’re located, could be useful for other member comments.
KCface likes this.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 21 Old 04-27-2019, 09:18 AM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
You really need to decide do I want high performance or everyday driver. That is 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec or 7.1 sec. The higher performance does come with a price when replacing brakes and normal service maintenance. Most of the specs from 2015 to 2017 does not change you might want to check out this website.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/201...specifications

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black

post #4 of 21 Old 04-28-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA250
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Definitely appreciate the feedback. I frankly went in to test drive some smaller crossovers, the GLA250 being on the list along with Audi, Infiniti, and the X3.

I saw the AMG beside the GLA250 I was interested in, and was close enough in price that I thought "why not give it a spin" and it just was night and day from drive style - Driving the GLA250 felt sad and lethargic after the AMG, ha.

I've had quite a few performance cars in the past, and don't really "go after that" as much but it's definitely addicting / satisfying to have some real power. That and the MSRP difference of nearly $30k, being brought down to a $4,000 gap seemed like the value is there.

I am leaning toward the GLA simply because it's newer and certified pre-owned, and wanted to look into potential tuning/ECU flashes and such to get a little more power out down the line if I want. It seems like the best compromise.

In Northern VA, by the way. The Carmax up here has 5(!) AMG45's right now, 4 2015's and 1 2016. The 2016 is $8,000 more, though.

[quote=gbarringer;201264]You really need to decide do I want high performance or everyday driver. That is 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec or 7.1 sec. The higher performance does come with a price when replacing brakes and normal service maintenance. Most of the specs from 2015 to 2017 does not change you might want to check out this website.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-28-2019, 11:38 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 23k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarringer View Post
You really need to decide do I want high performance or everyday driver. That is 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec or 7.1 sec. The higher performance does come with a price when replacing brakes and normal service maintenance. Most of the specs from 2015 to 2017 does not change you might want to check out this website.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/201...specifications

Just to be clear, the AMG 2015 is faster than you state, you are stating kph of 4.8 (to 62mph), this has gotten confused on the internet. 0-60 is 4.4-4.5 in these cars vs. whatever in GLA 250.

But you are right, this is a high performance car, expect to pay quite a bit more when Brakes come due, etc, etc. You pay to play, massive difference in these cars. That said, if you understand and can afford the cost for upkeep, this car is such a steal, to get into an AMG, and this car beats other AMG's just above it, and holds a HP per liter record for manufacturer output.

GLA owner to be? Looking that way. DONE
Current DD is a heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2011 Subaru Forrester.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-29-2019, 12:17 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015GLA45AMG
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I was in a similar boat and pricing you are being quoted sounds great. I would try to get extended warranty. I do wish I had Apple Car Play but hey just for the fun factor the GLA45AMG will always top the 250. Like others have mentioned have to be ready for more expensive maintenance.

AzSTMPR

15GLA45 of AMG Goodness!
post #7 of 21 Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
I knew that with the 45 out there I would always feel shorted with a 250. That's not to say anything negative about the 250. It's just that all things considered the 45 was the only option I could consider.

It is true that only a company unconcerned with the bottom line would build a car like the 45. It's a crazy concept. All the more draw to it.

But that's my opinion and may not have anything to do with your decision.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015GLA45AMG
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My thoughts exactly. I was given a 250 as a loaner and was surprised with the ride. It's got a good amount of oomph but at the end of the day I was missing my 45's craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I knew that with the 45 out there I would always feel shorted with a 250. That's not to say anything negative about the 250. It's just that all things considered the 45 was the only option I could consider.

It is true that only a company unconcerned with the bottom line would build a car like the 45. It's a crazy concept. All the more draw to it.

But that's my opinion and may not have anything to do with your decision.

AzSTMPR

15GLA45 of AMG Goodness!
post #9 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
The GLA45 is a great car... not much else like it! We love ours overall, but my 2 biggest complaints are about the infotainment. I think it's just clunky and awkward for one, and bluetooth volume is so low that it isn't usable. Sounds odd, I know. I've had mine in to the dealer twice for voice-recognition and bluetooth volume issues, and still neither work worth a ****. As for reliability, performance, MPG, and practicality it's been great for us. Maintenance is really expensive for AMG models. How much is that '16 going for? I'd like to think that mine (hard-loaded 2016, 13k miles) would retail for upper $30's but who knows.

- 16 AMG GLA45, optioned to the gills
- 12 Wrangler, 37's, mountain climber convertible
- 07 Shelby GT3249 of 5763, 530whp, [email protected] , 7521' DA
post #10 of 21 Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post
...bluetooth volume is so low that it isn't usable. Sounds odd, I know. I've had mine in to the dealer twice for voice-recognition and bluetooth volume issues, and still neither work...
It's so reassuring to hear somebody else state that. That was a concern I had from day of delivery to now. Took it to be my GLA only. I had two C-Class sedans with bluetooth that were seamless in volume to radio or other media, but in the GLA if you go from bluetooth back to radio without adjusting down the volume, you're in for a shock. And after several "can not duplicate(s)" I gave up. Service rep kinda agreed with me when I demonstrated it more than once, but service department wasn't too motivated to remedy.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page