Whine on heavy accel, lower gears - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Whine on heavy accel, lower gears

After everything is heated up I am getting a fairly loud whine under heavy acceleration in 2nd and 3rd. Not nearly as noticeable in the higher gears and does not do it at all in neutral. Only things I have found related to this is the PS pump but I would think it would do it in neutral? I can also lightly hear the turbo even in neutral revving so it isn't that. I can hear the DSG in some videos making this noise to some extent but I simply can't tell if it's harder to capture on mic or just not as loud.. With the windows down it is easily louder then the exhaust and a co-worker commented that he could hear it when I pull into the parking garage while accelerating in 2nd. Anyone else have whine? I'm anxious to install my tune and DP but this has me hesitating to make any mods. I would really like to change/check the fluid and I wish it wasn't such a pita.

2017 GLA 45 - From Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015GLA45AMG
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
From what you listed I doubt it's the PS pump. Do you hear the whine only under hard acceleration? I know it seems silly but what if you tried the race start and see if that whine occurs. Also is there a hesitation that goes with it, if so maybe thats the transmission. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

AzSTMPR

15GLA45 of AMG Goodness!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It gets louder at the higher RPM but the load seems to determine how loud. Race, manual, auto, all the same if it wraps out. Absolutely zero hesitation that goes with it. I do get some from normal driving in comfort but it isn't anything irregular. Car drives and acts fine besides this. I would almost say it sounds like a regular automatic that is way low on fluid now that I think about it. Wonder if it is under filled.. May just have to take it to the dealer and put up with it being there for several days before they look at it

post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 12:22 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45 Cirrus White
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
check out my thread. had the same question and it seems to be normal.

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...uestion-2.html
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyclai View Post
check out my thread. had the same question and it seems to be normal.

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...uestion-2.html
I just don't think it's the turbo although I cant be 100%. Wouldn't the turbo whine continue in neutral by simply revving it after it was doing it while driving?

post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
is it a loud whoosh coming from the back?

I had something similar, and it was the exhaust flap in the back. The connecting rod between the motor and flap broke, so the exhaust was locked open. Or shut, can't remember now. The whoosh was the exhaust rushing past the flap when it was in the wrong position. I could only hear it under heavy acceleration in lower gears at higher RPM. Like freeway merging through a metering light.

You can check it by dropping the exhaust flap motor. It's an easy task, just two bolts and one connector. The rod is a coil of steel like a coathangar wrapped around a 1 inch dowel. Mine was snapped in two.

No comment on the price to replace because it happened two months before my car went out of warranty. I don't know if they replaced the 50 cent piece of metal or the entire motor.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Something to check. It sounds a lot like this:

post #8 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got my first "crunch" going from P to D this weekend. Guess I will wait for it to get worse and leave it at the dealer for weeks on end. Not very impressed with this car overall. Rattles, squeals, performance, thin paint.. I was hoping to solve the performance part but glad I waited. Pretty disgusted and wishing I would have grabbed the M2 or RS instead of this.. Probably the last Benz I will ever own. Meh!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page