GLA45 Drivetrain History - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GLA45 Drivetrain History

I'd really like to know more about the 45 engine and transmission, but I haven't had any luck finding information.

Is this engine a new design, or was it based on earlier models?

I'd like to know more about the type of connecting rods and if there are racing parts used?

Ratings for the transmission, and can it take an increase in torque and power?

Overall history of both would be great reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-25-2019, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I haven't heard of anything.

BUT

what I have noticed, is the A-class speed shops are all the same. They focus on air filter and downpipe. Nothing else. After that, turbo and cooling. Then heavily focus on engine tuning.

What is not offered anywhere easily speaks loudly: internals, spark plugs, transmission, fuel injectors. Nothing. Up to over 500 HP in some cases, and even injectors are not on the list. That speaks to me. Especially when I'm happy well under 450 HP.

I figure if some people are tuning up to 550 HP in a 4 cylinder 2 liter engine without changing fuel injectors and transmission, I'm OK with my rinky-dink stuff with the otherwise OEM built engine and transmission. Jerome did well as far as I am concerned!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 04:29 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 23k miles
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
I haven't heard of anything.

BUT

what I have noticed, is the A-class speed shops are all the same. They focus on air filter and downpipe. Nothing else. After that, turbo and cooling. Then heavily focus on engine tuning.

What is not offered anywhere easily speaks loudly: internals, spark plugs, transmission, fuel injectors. Nothing. Up to over 500 HP in some cases, and even injectors are not on the list. That speaks to me. Especially when I'm happy well under 450 HP.

I figure if some people are tuning up to 550 HP in a 4 cylinder 2 liter engine without changing fuel injectors and transmission, I'm OK with my rinky-dink stuff with the otherwise OEM built engine and transmission. Jerome did well as far as I am concerned!

I will say that you should change your rear diff fluid per the frequency MB wants, and it's not a bad idea to do the front tranny/diff and filter as well. That cost me a lot, but the cost of this transmission makes the fluid change chump change. I don't believe the rear diff is particularly strong.

I have found no reading either, there are some good pics of the tranny that can be found to understand the DCT better if you understand what you are looking at. I learned on my own that unlike other turbos the intercooling is not air to air, and of course the internals are upgraded to forged when you start talking connecting rods, crank, etc. Pistons are something different as well, perhaps valvetrain too. Would not be surprised if gaskets were something upgraded given boost pressures.

I plan on trying the aftermarket intake upgrade as mentioned. The aftermarket shops all point to the funneled air intake from filter to turbo as restrictive and heat-inducing, being only 2.6". They all offer a new piece from the box to turbo to enlarge this to 4", with a non-paper filter, and the one I will likely buy also has no filter oiling. The downpipe is said to have a bend in it that can be restrictive. The intake mod can get you some decent power gains without any tune, but you won't really see much until the air intake starts flowing, say around 45mph+. Graphs I"ve seen show that at around 70-100mph you could see +20HP, +15 or so lb/ft.

GLA owner to be? Looking that way. DONE
Current DD is a heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2011 Subaru Forrester.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The M133 is based on the M270 4 cylinder. As far as I can tell it was developed from a failed F1 project.
Quote:
The M133 is quite technologically advanced. The whole package only weighs 148 kilograms because most of the components are made from aluminum. The engine features spray-guided direct petrol injection via piezo injectors positioned centrally in the four combustion chambers.
Quote:
Like most of its rivals, AMG solved the problems created by turbocharging an engine by using a twin-scroll system that give you a more spontaneous build-up of charge pressure, making effective use of exhaust gas back pressure, exhaust gas temperature and exhaust gas impulse. The turbo uses maximum charge pressure of 1.8 bar, a significant figure that was needed to ensure high output from such a small engine.
Here is a good read: https://slideheaven.com/the-new-20-l...cedes-amg.html

And this has some great info and links on it: https://www.revolvy.com/page/Mercede...nz-M133-engine
Quote:
The M133 is based on the M270 engine but has been extensively revised by AMG.[2] It features a twin-scroll turbocharger, BlueDIRECT direct injection, iron-carbon alloy on the cylinder walls to reduce friction, and zircon in the cylinder heads to increase thermal conductivity.[3] The cooling system is also based on the one found in the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.[4] The M133 was updated in 2015, and features performance improvements of 20 kW (27 PS; 27 hp) and 25 N⋅m (18 lb⋅ft).[5]

2017 GLA 45 - From Texas.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much for these references, as they are very good reading indeed!

This is a great start at understanding the origins of this engine and transmission. I do agree that the read diff may be on the weak side, but that's probably because it receives a smaller percentage of engine power on average. The engine though, is very sophisticated, which is understandable will this amount of boost.

Still on the fence regarding power upgrades, but may start with a new intake and see if there are any real noteworthy gains.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page