LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 09-04-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Considering a 2015 model, things to consider

Hi all,

I've recently found what I think is a pretty good deal on a CPO fully loaded 2015 GLA45 with 7k miles. I've spoken to the dealership and they provided me with all the service history as well as the carfax, and other documents. Nothing looks like a red flag from the documents. Single owner (supposedly the previous owner had too many cars hence the low miles, what a problem), no accidents, no service outside of the standard scheduled ones.

All that aside, I'm wondering what else I should be looking out for (specific to this car). I've read up about the possible knocking of the transmission between 1st and 2nd gear and will try and listen for it when I test drive it. Other than that, I've read up on the lack of compatibility with adding/enabling Android Auto. I didn't quite get a solid answer on that since I think it depends, but I could be wrong (I also read the extensive thread on this forum regarding it too). I'd really really like to have that in the car, even if I have to pay for the service or parts. If it can't be done via firmware update, can the head unit be replaced with a newer version that does have it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Welcome to the GLA forum. The general smartphone Apple CarPlay/Android Auto compatibility for US version GLAs started with production after 1 December 2015. There is much discussion among our members, some who have been successful, as well as reports from dealer service departments on potential retrofitting. The general rule is said to be that you must have the Multimedia Package for the retrofit, but that's not a certainty either. I was interested in trying a retrofit my September 2015 production GLA250, but my dealer talked me out of it with a very high labor cost estimate (Hawaii), plus I would be their first attempt to do so with potential for unintended consequences/collateral damage. I opted out.

Best wishes in your decision!

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 38 Old 09-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
i have one, i wouldn't recommend.
tranni is a good reason to stay away.
plus selling it with funny knocking and sounds coming out from bellow will be a nightmare.
c

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE,AMS TITANIUM STRUT BAR, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX 200 cel DOWN PIPE, AMR PERFORMANCE STG2

post #4 of 38 Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 23k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I bought mine CPO a few months back, no issues 18,161 when bought, 19950 now. I did just do a front tranny fluid/filter (also includes the front diff service) and rear diff fluid just to be safe since prior service did not show for sure any of this had been done. But it had regular oil/filter, air filter, brake fluid flush/fill, "recommended service performed" by a MB dealer.

GLA owner to be? Looking that way. DONE
Current DD is a heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2011 Subaru Forrester.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 PM

Just one other item, what I found strange and needed to get used to was the accelerator pedal input. "Mushy", and the turbo, compared to my 2.0 Pontiac Solstice GXP (RWD 290HP/325TQ) is very sluggish. One minute nothing, soon I'm in a rocket. I'm still working on understanding the exhaust from motor feeding to turbo, but it seems like the layout is very good with short front forced air input and I think short exhaust from motor, and then very large exhaust pipe. So I know this must be a large turbo for the 2.0 to generate 26psi, but the lag is a drag, and the on/off of the turbo is not real great, my Pontiac is smoother to drive.

Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
post #6 of 38 Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
You're dealing with the programming on the DCT and the way the clutches engage more than the lag in the turbo.

Some on this Forum have used an attachment to the accelerator to overcome some of this. I've found you just have to modulate the throttle a bit ... on more than you would think as you start rolling with a slight drop off as you get going to avoid snapping your passenger's neck.

DCTs are different animals and unless you have driven them before they can take some time to get used to. Even if you've driven them ... I've put over 80K miles on my 911 with PDK (Porsche's term for DCT) and it is quite different from the 45. I have to reprogram my throttle foot each time I get into the 45.
post #7 of 38 Old 09-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
You're dealing with the programming on the DCT and the way the clutches engage more than the lag in the turbo.

Some on this Forum have used an attachment to the accelerator to overcome some of this. I've found you just have to modulate the throttle a bit ... on more than you would think as you start rolling with a slight drop off as you get going to avoid snapping your passenger's neck.

DCTs are different animals and unless you have driven them before they can take some time to get used to. Even if you've driven them ... I've put over 80K miles on my 911 with PDK (Porsche's term for DCT) and it is quite different from the 45. I have to reprogram my throttle foot each time I get into the 45.

Yes, you may have seen I've made comments on DCT's for those not understanding this is not a normal "automatic transmission, i.e. slush box torque convertor". I have been interested in your input since I saw you have Porsche with PDK (and yes, realize that is a DCT). I'd actually like more input if you have made any other posts regarding this 7spd. To me it seems very nice, it's meant to be compact/lighweight, and is better than any auto I have ever driven and yet you can have fun similar to a manual, just without all the clutch stuff.

Your other point on pedal mod, can you point me to a thread? I've chalked the slow response to the size of turbo, but on the other hand, this unit seems to get fresh air in a very short intake and is positioned to quickly gain exhaust input, so it should be fairly fast. If something else is slowing things I'd love to know.

What the vehicle is HUGE at is if you moving along and want to pass and can "time" the lag, man, from videos I've seen this is what is was meant for....it takes off like a rocket to pass people. Funnest thing so far for me. Keep in mind, I'm still playing around with this vehicle, learning it. I've hardly used the paddle shifters, no track, but it's a nicely balanced vehicle to drive. I'm switching to Conti DWS06's soon since the stock summer tires have 20k on them and are not meant for winter, which I need in Colorado.

post #8 of 38 Old 09-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
Yes, you may have seen I've made comments on DCT's for those not understanding this is not a normal "automatic transmission, i.e. slush box torque convertor". I have been interested in your input since I saw you have Porsche with PDK (and yes, realize that is a DCT). I'd actually like more input if you have made any other posts regarding this 7spd. To me it seems very nice, it's meant to be compact/lighweight, and is better than any auto I have ever driven and yet you can have fun similar to a manual, just without all the clutch stuff.

Your other point on pedal mod, can you point me to a thread? I've chalked the slow response to the size of turbo, but on the other hand, this unit seems to get fresh air in a very short intake and is positioned to quickly gain exhaust input, so it should be fairly fast. If something else is slowing things I'd love to know.

What the vehicle is HUGE at is if you moving along and want to pass and can "time" the lag, man, from videos I've seen this is what is was meant for....it takes off like a rocket to pass people. Funnest thing so far for me. Keep in mind, I'm still playing around with this vehicle, learning it. I've hardly used the paddle shifters, no track, but it's a nicely balanced vehicle to drive. I'm switching to Conti DWS06's soon since the stock summer tires have 20k on them and are not meant for winter, which I need in Colorado.
I don't have a search function on my phone interface, but if you do then look up throttle controls. Perhaps someone who has used one can add some input.

As for the DCT, pretend you are driving a stick. If you are light on the throttle you slip the clutch and take off very slowly. If you stomp on the throttle you side step the third pedal. The takeoff is significantly different. The computer is trying to decide what you want. You're on the right track with modulation. Down on tree accelerator a bit heavy to get the clutch fully engaged and then modulate back to control the acceleration.

Sport mode engages the clutch more aggressively and adds throttle quicker. So you get the same result. I believe that's what the throttle controls give you, but without the high revving before upshifting that can be a bit annoying around town.

Drive like you're piloting a manual transmission. You can confuse the computer by moving the throttle in unexpected ways. When you do this you may get a very rough shift. Remember you have even gears on one shaft and odd on the other. The computer sets up for the next gear in anticipation. If you're in 3rd the computer sets the even gear shaft for either 2nd or 4th based upon accelerating or not. If you suddenly change your input as the DCT is being shifted ...

The easy way around this is to run in manual mode. Pretend you have a standard but you don't need the clutch ... heel and toe and throttle blip are done for you ... perfectly ... every time ... to the point of being able to downshift in the middle of a turn without upsetting balance. And never worry about a money shift.

No matter what, a DCT performs best with spirited driving ... quick stops to avoid rough downshifts into first. Quick starts to get full clutch engagement.

Drive it (use throttle) like you have a manual transmission and it really starts to shine.

I just installed MP4S (245-40-20) on Pam's car. She drove it home and said it was quieter and smoother. The rear toe was too far out. The front toe was not far enough in. So that explains the premature inner wear on the rears. These summer performance tires are fine in the San Francisco Bay Area but not so good in Colorado unless you get a set of winter wheels (some but not all 18s will clear the brakes).

The 35 aspect ratio was an inch short. The 40 is a half inch high. They do fill out the fender wells nicely. We'll need to burn off the mold release before we can really evaluate them seriously.

Meanwhile, sling shot passing is the safest way to overtake!!!
post #9 of 38 Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 PM

That's all really good info. Wayne, I hope the OP (Tymless) does not mind our highjack here, I figure this does give him/her good input about this vehicle's traits. And from my experience thus far you seem to be spot on with the way the DCT reacts to throttle input. Sometimes I'm just starting to give it throttle and then need to back off quickly and this messes up the computer controlling the next gear select, so obviously manual mode would take care of that issue. And I've been using eco mode quite a bit, but there is a noticeable improvement in how it drives if I switch each time to Sport. Really too bad you can't change the selection with each new startup to automatically select Sport, but no biggie.

I'm changing the tire size slightly as well with new tires, they will be 245's as well vs. the 235's. I basically have no choice since Conti DWS06 are not available in our 235 size. And I really want the conti's, if you look closely at the tread design from the front, it has the little tiny grabbing grooves within each longitudinal void around the tire (Michelin AS has this too), but the tread pattern itself is not totally in a straight line, there are grabbing treads that stick out just slightly around the tire, being able to add grab in snow in both directions, the Michelin AS ultra performance tire is rated slightly better, except does not have this added benefit for snow conditions. The conti's are the best rated ultra perf. AS tire for snow. I think the 245's will look better anyway, a little over 3/8th's more tire width, just nice for 8" wheels, may help protect a bit better from curbs, but I'm super careful with curbs anyway. They are shown to weigh about 1lb. less per tire than stock, and keeping with 45 profile should be a little softer on the road, ride height will increase a tiny bit (.2").

I can also say I'm very happy with overall economy, I continue to average just over 25mpg, almost no highway, mostly light urban travel, not inner city. One night returning from the airport late at night I took it real gentle the whole way home, this is avg. 50 mph with not many lights and managed 32mpg when I got home.

I've used the vehicle quite a bit to haul boxes and even a 3x4x2' tool chest, so 44 cuft. of capacity with rear seats folder has been adequate, you'd be surprised what you can get in it.

post #10 of 38 Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I'm probably late to the party. I did what you did. Mine is a 2015, I bought it in April, not CPO, 29k miles. Whatever the previous owner told the dealership is a lie, that's OK. Part of the game. Just check your stuff.

VIN: this one is key. get it, and do a VIN lookup. it's a 2015, but they change things mid-year. So, mine is a 2015, but because it was MFG in September 2014, and key features cut-in November 2014, I have to buy accessories based on the 2014MY. Just the way it is. Only thing that really ****** me off is my car is incompatible with keyless GO (in any form) because of that 3 month gap. So, check your option codes.

Throttle: throttle will be spongy. Comfort mode drives like a slush box. get used to it. the DCT is "just right" in sport mode on a windy road. 50-80 mph, curvy road, and sport mode, the car knows what gear it needs to be in. Comfort mode in traffic, not so much. I have learned to accept it. Buy the pedal commander. It's good.

Power: It's good. can't go back to a GLA250 now.

Grip: I'm an amateur, but the 4matic on this car is really good. it's hard to break the wheels free unless you're being really crazy.

Brakes: ditto: for an amateur, they are really really grippy. Takes 30 minutes of hard braking to start brake fade.

Drivetrain reliability: GTG. people are modding these things to 500+ HP which I cannot believe. Few people complain of breaking anything related to the engine or transmission. Looks like mercedes built these things stout. Real stout.

ICE: I like it. Others don't. But I like having a USB, ipod, and SD in the unit all at the same time. quality is just fine for an OEM. Just needs to be tweaked to its best, and the volume cap is low before distortion takes over. Overall, A-. I had the HK system before upgrading.

Don't know what else to say. cargo space is limited, coming from a station wagon before. Turbo lag is excessive and expected. fun factor is up there. car is comfortable to drive. it lacks the spongy isolation of a typical mercedes benz. It's not quite a driver's car, but it's really close, and the fun factor IMO more than compensates for it. It's got every feature needed to keep a guy out of trouble on the roads, and reliability seems to be up there with the best.

Last edited by turbolink; 09-10-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: language

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page