LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 24k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
Oh that's perfect for me, thanks for that. I've been pushing ECO on the dash which will do it too, but that's taking the eyes off the road, which I don't like.

My GLA is a 2015 so I don't get sport+ whatever that is (suspension setting?) I just get C, S, M. Unless you mean a pedal commander. For that, I've found I like it to be in City mode but fully advanced. I liked that better than sport or sport+ and retarded by 3 clicks. I like my throttle to be analog, not just full on and full off.

I don't toy with GTI or mustangs. I figure pick on someone my own size.
Quote:
Everyone is different of course, but there is no way I would pay $50k for a GLA45. The only reason I have one is it was my 2nd choice car and it was clear my first choice would not ever sell for less than 49k unless it had a ton of miles on it or falling apart. So I "settled" for my second choice, at a 40% discount off MSRP as a pre-owned, @ 15k under 50k. I like the car alot, but I would not feel like I got value for $49k. Totally personal, you may be different.

You also could not sell me a GLA with the spoiler at any price. Also personal preference.

fyi, sport+ was not available yet on our '15's, it came later, I think this enhancement of C/S/S+/M and then I believe to get into a Race mode with ours is rather complicated, and they have simplified that quite a lot.

But we were thinking alike, 5k miles would be nice, I bought mine just over 18k so not a biggie, but paid 13k less. I was beginning to baulk once I passed $41k, which a few months back would have likely been the price for a 2016.

heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend, to move to GLA 45.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2019 Volvo XC40 Rtype.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 09-26-2018, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
There's a race mode? or do you mean launch control aka race start? I know about race start (launch control), but not anything more than that

(just want to know if I am leaving anything else on the table with my GLA)
post #23 of 38 Old 09-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Race mode is a part of the package with LSD and speed delimiter.

All have a launch mode. For a simple quick launch press the brake, floor the throttle, let off on the brake.

post #24 of 38 Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
@Norcomile: Since I'm in the Denver area also I wanted to look up the 18 GLA45 you were speaking of... All I see in their inventory is a '15 with 28k miles, asking $35k. Do you have the link for the said '18?

I think our '16 GLA45 purchase may be one of the more expensive used car purchases on here, since we paid $47.5k (on a $69.7k MSRP in 2017), but then again I don't think anyone has found a used one with less miles than ours (was 2,296 when we bought it).

Race mode is VERY aggressive... it will hold gears crusing at 5000+rpm and not shift up, for example... the car is perpetually ready for that next WOT to redline, etc... I'd love to get it in a canyon sometime but haven't yet.

- 16 AMG GLA45, optioned to the gills
- 12 Wrangler, 37's, mountain climber convertible
- 07 Shelby GT3249 of 5763, 530whp, [email protected] , 7521' DA
post #25 of 38 Old 09-28-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Race mode is a part of the package with LSD and speed delimiter.

All have a launch mode. For a simple quick launch press the brake, floor the throttle, let off on the brake.

yes, sorry, launch (used for racing) mode is what I was talking about that I think is simplified to get into if you wanted, 2015 vs. newer versions.

Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
post #26 of 38 Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 AM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
Just one other item, what I found strange and needed to get used to was the accelerator pedal input. "Mushy", and the turbo, compared to my 2.0 Pontiac Solstice GXP (RWD 290HP/325TQ) is very sluggish. One minute nothing, soon I'm in a rocket. I'm still working on understanding the exhaust from motor feeding to turbo, but it seems like the layout is very good with short front forced air input and I think short exhaust from motor, and then very large exhaust pipe. So I know this must be a large turbo for the 2.0 to generate 26psi, but the lag is a drag, and the on/off of the turbo is not real great, my Pontiac is smoother to drive.
The ECU and transmission update that Wayne alluded to in one of these threads is real and will solve MOST of your issues (still no PDK, but I'm MUCH happier). I just took mine in this week and the difference is night and day! ALL 2015 owners should become aware of this and go get updated. MUCH more than just a pedal reset.
post #27 of 38 Old 09-29-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
This is just personal use Whiterabbit, what one person's use is, usually is very different than another. Some people may hardly ever fold the rear seats to put stuff in the back, I bought it for this. But to me that space back there is totally adequate. I had a Ford Bronco which has 102 cu/ft of cargo capacity in the back, and modified it like a pickup one time so I could put 20 sheets of 8 ft drywall back there, hanging all the way to end of folded tailgate. But I don't need that anymore.

Groceries, check. I laid down a tool chest back there awhile back, along with some moving boxes and home stereo equipment, so with seats folded it's enough personal space for me, due to it having a high hatch. I would never use a 3 row SUV as I don't haul around people, so this car meets my personal needs perfectly, 44 cuft vs. Bronco 102. Hey, it's a hatch, go look at sports sedan's and the 15cu ft of trunk they might have and you will appreciate.

But now to Medtech or anyone, I'm curious about the Weistec filter, it's $300 and does mod the intake opening some for more air, but what I'm more interested in is it's cotton gauze. Does this filter use a light oil like K&N, very leery of that for clogging sensors. But if not, I don't see any specs on filtration, just potential power gains, so that worries me still being in warranty. Anyone can produce more power with their filter, but are they protecting the engine from contaminates properly? I see disclaimers they have no liability and I'm sure would not step up if one did develop engine/turbo issues.
Just saw this. No oil, the filter is perfectly dry, so no MAF issue. Since they use the original air filter housing, and the filter is not exposed to the elements I'm only concerned about particle size, which i'm sure this medium is adequate for. The OEM adapter from the box to the turbo intake is extremely choked down. The weistec adapter literally doubles that opening. That being said, the OEM adapter uses a conical opening, so I'm guessing maybe they did that for some sort of verturi effect? The weistec is obviously just a tube.

I just installed the filter and BOV before going to the dealer this week. They said nothing. Since the filter is not exposed, I can't see them making an issue about it. I find nothing in the warranty that says what brand and type of air filter that I have to use, and this is just essentially a reusable filter. I could see them making an issue about an exposed filter, especially if they could blame a problem on water ingestion.

Now let's get to the real question...was it worth $300?? Honestly, I have no clue. No data to really base it on, and I haven't had a chance to drove over to Weistec to ask questions in person. At best I would say it might have helped pedal response and spool up time, which is all I expected. YMMV
post #28 of 38 Old 09-29-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Put it in sport mode and it is much better at adapting. Only reason I leave it in comfort mode is I don't like that it stays in high revs when I'm not on the throttle. So I live with the occasional sluggishness when I need power on demand. I'm trying to experiment with the double-down-shift mentioned by someone else here. Just doesnt click back over to automatic mode fast enough for me.

Two questions for you guys though:

Medtech: why the BOV needed? I'm not sure I see any reason for the BOV.

Shadowfax: Haul stuff? This car is so tiny inside it's crazy. are you hauling a motorcycle trailer when hauling, or something? What did you mean by haul stuff? my station wagon could carry 8 foot lumber in it, I'm not confident I could put a 6 foot 2x4 in this car....
I installed the BOV primarily to extend the life of the turbos. Hopefully it also makes a noticeable difference in spool up as well. From 2016 on AMG actually did install some sort of BOV on the cars. 2015 did not have one at all. When I did the install I noticed a very obvious amount of oil that the turbo was spitting back out into the intake tube. I saw the same thing on a POV mechanic video as well, so it's not just my car. I'm new to turbos, so this may be normal. It also makes sense that a big surge of back pressure could also cause the turbo to belch up tiny amounts of oil.

After installing it, I will say that I'm surprised at just how often the valve is actuated. And the extra mechanical sound is a bonus!
post #29 of 38 Old 09-29-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtech View Post
Just saw this. No oil, the filter is perfectly dry, so no MAF issue. Since they use the original air filter housing, and the filter is not exposed to the elements I'm only concerned about particle size, which i'm sure this medium is adequate for. The OEM adapter from the box to the turbo intake is extremely choked down. The weistec adapter literally doubles that opening. That being said, the OEM adapter uses a conical opening, so I'm guessing maybe they did that for some sort of verturi effect? The weistec is obviously just a tube.

I just installed the filter and BOV before going to the dealer this week. They said nothing. Since the filter is not exposed, I can't see them making an issue about it. I find nothing in the warranty that says what brand and type of air filter that I have to use, and this is just essentially a reusable filter. I could see them making an issue about an exposed filter, especially if they could blame a problem on water ingestion.

Now let's get to the real question...was it worth $300?? Honestly, I have no clue. No data to really base it on, and I haven't had a chance to drove over to Weistec to ask questions in person. At best I would say it might have helped pedal response and spool up time, which is all I expected. YMMV

I would say YES, so long as it's doing a good job with filtration. A stock filter is what $ from a dealer? The best I can find online is about $50 and if I'm supposed to do this annually, it won't be long and the reusable has paid for itself. Then add that Weistec estimates 5-15 gains in power and torque, so if you assume 7 or so each that just adds to the value, now you're at 362/340 roughly. I have not looked closely down into the turbo inlet...I do see that this comes with a different tube that is almost 2x's the diameter, but does it shrink down to go into the turbo inlet anyway? Because then I would not see any benefit, but if stock you have that smaller inlet and then it gets big again going into the turbo, then I would see this as likely removing a restriction.

post #30 of 38 Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
@Medtech: I'll be keeping my GLA45 stock for a long time, but could you provide a link to the product you are talking about for the westech filter/intake? I'm curious to see where the MAF sensor is in relation to these parts you've replaced. As you hinted, air flow is critically important anywhere near the MAF sensor. If the speed of air is changed it could disrupt the factory tune, and not necessarily for the better. Also, I've had experience tuning cars with aftermarket intakes and have tried to scale and tune some intakes and they just aren't fully tune-able... Any sort of change of bend of air movement, etc., can introduce turbulence which can do different things at different rpms and it can cost power (as the ecu dials back timing in certain rpm ranges where it sees oddities). Plus, in general, for cars that aren't otherwise modded with aftermarket down pipes or turbos, I'm a pretty staunch believer that a filter or intake is nearly never a bottleneck to air flow and it's more of a sound mod than a power mod, but just my opinion.

- 16 AMG GLA45, optioned to the gills
- 12 Wrangler, 37's, mountain climber convertible
- 07 Shelby GT3249 of 5763, 530whp, [email protected] , 7521' DA

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page