Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

First Mercedes - Very Disappointing

18K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Huey52 
#1 ·
2015 GLA 250 - A beautiful car, on the outside. But this is the loudest car I've ever driven. The noise inside is so irritating that I would swear I've left a window cracked open. At 75 mph, I honestly can't hear the person talking to me from the passenger seat. I gave my friend a ride - it was his first time in a Mercedes - and was embarrassed because the noise was so obvious and annoying.Please tell me my car shouldn't sound like this and I can get it fixed. I can't imagine a car, much less a Mercedes, being so loud. I'm going to start driving my Ford F-150 more - so much quieter. :crying::crying::crying:

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Jeff. I don't get opportunities to get my GLA up to 75 in Hawaii, but yes, the cabin noise is more than you'd expect on a Mercedes, a universal observation from year one with the 2015 models. I test drove a 2015 GLA up to about 60 MPH, but I thought my 2016 model was a tad better...maybe wishful thinking. Much of the sound is coming from the run flat tires, but the driver and passenger windows could use some re-engineering as well. However, there are so many superlatives about the GLA besides that, it's quickly forgotten. If you search the words "road noise" in the box on the upper right of the page you'll find a lot of discussion about it.

Also, just to help you feel a bit better, here's a neat thread of Easter eggs you probably didn't hear about from your dealer, or even the dealer staff didn't know:

http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...icks-unknown-features-you-discovered-gla.html

#3 ·
I must admit that I find myself frequently confirming that the windows are closed all the way, thinking that may be a source for the wind noise.

#5 ·
Run flats are going this fall. I will keep them in the cellar until I'm ready to change cars. Am thinking of getting good all season tires (will look at Tire Warehouse feedback); also at the same time am thinking of buying an inexpensive wheel, and putting a 5th tire on it. Will buy a jack from eBay, put the 5th tire and wheel in the back for trips, not for around town. I have the tire repair kit, which includes a compressor, from BMW days.

#6 ·
I've not noticed my GLA being particularly noisey, I don't have run-flats though.

It does have more road noise than my last car "VW Tiguan" but it has 20" wheels instead of 18's and is considerably lower i.e. it's closer to the road. I just put the noise down to the lower-profile tyres.

I have not noticed any increase in wind noise and I have no problem chatting quietly with passengers at motorway speeds.

#7 ·
I have 2016 GLA45 on 20"AMG wheels with the standard Contis, and it is pretty loud, but most of the noise comes from the turbo engine and exhaust system. I can drive in the streets (not the highways) with my window down and the top open, and it does get a tad loud, but not enough for me to complain. I also have music playing 95% of the time, and I love hearing the engine roar and the exhaust crackle, so I just don't notice the excessive road/wind noise most of the time.

I must say that my interior isn't as quiet and luxurious as our 2016 Q5, but I came in knowing it was going to primarily be a sports vehicle, and the pros heavily outweigh the cons. I'd hope the 250 would have had a bit more comfort, both physically and audibly, but I do hear people mention disappointment since they had high expectations from an MB vehicle.

It's my first MB, too, but I actually like mine quite a lot. Honestly, when I 'have' to drive the Q5, I get bored because it's too smooth and quiet (not to mention slower). Lol. But it can be nice for longer trips when you may need some peace and quiet.

#8 ·
Very good points regarding noise on the motorway. I'm definitely of the view that this is because of the 20'inch rims and the tyres ive got. I had opted for 19 inch ones on my original specced car but reluctantly cancelled that one due to production delays and bought this one with this configuration as it was the only new gla 45 in stock. Yesterday on the M25 (junction 9 westbound) where the motorway surface is as coarse as my 5 o'clock shadow, the noise was unbearable but once the surface turned into regular asphalt i breathed a sigh of relief as the cabin was pretty quiet after that. I was doing around 70mph and heard no wind noise, and the exhaust was very quiet as the car was doing low revs in comfort mode. There was a moment my pregnant wife was staring at me with a "how the **** is the baby ever going to sleep when im driving the car in this racket" expression on her face.

This may sound a bit off, but i always find my car sounds like it is a diesel engine sometimes when i'm driving slowly. My father in law even asked me whether the car was diesel hahaha. That's probably because of the comfort mode combo with the performance exhaust.

#9 ·
I notice that most of the noise in the cabin seems to come from the road, like others I believe the tires are the culprit. Interesting that run-flat tires would be louder than standard tires. Easiest cure is to crank the stereo, find a nice windy road and get lost in the ride!

#10 · (Edited)
In 2009 when BMW 3 Series introduced run flat tires (RFT) as OEM thereby eliminating spares, there were such an up roar that they offered four set replacements for anyone who cared to complain. Mine came initially with Bridgestone RFT's, they were harsh and noisy, my e93 convertible rode like a concrete truck. I complained and got a new set of quieter Continentals. Four years later I replaced with much smoother Michelin. At least on BMW sizes RFT got a lot better with subsequent development of tires. Of course there is no way to match the smoothness and quietness of a non-RFT. I thought the MB MOExtended tires were a lot smoother than standard RFT's.

#11 ·
My GLA 250 has run flats fitted (Continental - not my favourite brand) and isn't as quiet as my old C240. However my longest trip so far was 200 kms up the M1 from Sydney, and although the freeway isn't perfect I didn't notice much noise at all. There were 4 of us in the vehicle and no-one had trouble with conversations. I was pleasantly surprised. Running around the city is definitely noisier but a lot of that is due to road surfaces and not the car or its tyres. With the windows and pano closed, the air con purring, the car is very quiet and fun to drive.

#15 ·
My 2017 GLA 250SUV production of 12/16 came with 235/55 R18 97H speed rated Bridgestone Duellers a MB Mobility Extended tires, fancy name for run flats. When I first drove home, my GLA rode like a concrete truck, I was very disappointed. Next morning I checked tire pressure - it was over inflated to 50 PSIG on all tires...!!! Once I adjusted to recommended F33/R29 the ride became much more bearable. By under inflating the rear tires by one pound PSIG, the riding harshness is almost gone.

#12 ·
The gla is a entry lvl luxury vehicle. It suffers from the same complaints from the cla lack of refinement. It's pretty good compared to the BMW x1 or the Lexus ct200h. But you right it could be much better. I just traded mine in for a 16 Camaro convertible and I'm really surprised that the Camaro has more luxury features for slightly less money. I still enjoyed the gla during my ownership of it. I do recommend changing out the tires to improve the noise and ride quality.

#16 ·
That Camaro is a nice looking car-what engine did you get?

#13 · (Edited)
I have 18" Continentals on mine, and there is a bit of tire noise - dependent on the road surfaces. But must say, not bad at all.
I do really like the appearance of the Continentals - good looking rubber.

Reactions: Right_mr
#14 ·
I have the 19s on mine and the noise isn't too bad unless I open the sunroof. It's nice sometimes though when you're on a winding road with the music blaring. :)

#19 ·
A relatively short wheelbase SUV compared to a sedan equals no comparison. I thought my wife might think it was a bit stiff but she took an extended test drive on some rougher and even potholed roads and she thought it was comfortable. Of course in comfort mode. But to each their own and again why a test drive is a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.