Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

2015-2016 GLA250 4MATIC comparision......

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GLA 4MATIC 
#1 ·
As some of you may know according to my Recall thread we had the use of a 2016 GLA250 4MATIC as a loaner while our '15 GLA was getting the camshaft replaced.
I noted in the other thread the differences which I felt were due to the "changes" with the drivetrain software for 2016. Since being back in our '15 GLA, I can say without a doubt, that I like the setup in ours as compared to the '16 loaner GLA. Although the vehicles are identical, except for a few options, they both perform well and have good power when getting up to speed. It is the around town driving when the trans shifts into higher gears, that you can feel the difference in the parameters set by the ECU or ECM. The '15 hardly and I mean hardly lugs in "E" mode at any speed, in fact stays in 6th gear even at 49-50 mph. Whereas the '16 model is already in 7th gear at that point and is in a lugging situation, which get annoying to say the least. Yes if you switch to another mode, you can help avoid this, but whether in "C", "E", "S" mode, there is evidence of lugging the engine. The '15 as I am stating does not have this detriment which is a real pleasure.
I am not bashing the '16 GLA, but just offering my opinion FWIW, since I have had the opportunity to drive both model years.
Also as stated, what I would like in the '15 GLA is the larger screen that the '16 GLA has and that when backing up, the camera comes on instantly without having to turn on the radio, whereas our '15, the system has to be turned on to activate the rear camera.
Just thought I would share my experience with both vehicles. Glad to be back in ours as I mentioned, and to give many thanks to the "tech" who performed our engine work, the engine runs great and has plenty of power. We are happy.....whatever GLA you are driving, take the time to know and understand how the different trans modes perform and I am sure you will be more than satisfied with your purchase. Happy Motoring!!!:D

Tom

See less See more
#3 ·
David, you may have a point, it could have been possible that in "E" mode the engine would shift into 7th and lug the engine. But since my vehicle was at the dealers for 2 weeks and one day, I may have forgotten exactly how the "E" mode was in my GLA. Now that being said, I had asked the service writer if there would be updated software loaded into my ECM because of the cam replacement. His response was that any vehicle that comes in for service is updated with the latest software available for that particular model regardless of the service provided. I am assuming that when they re-flashed my ECM, this procedure was completed.
Driving the GLA today in both "E" & "S" mode is very enjoyable. I very rarely use the paddle shift although may do so in the future....:D
Again, once you "learn" the best way to "drive" your GLA without having to worry about how much gas mileage you are getting, then that's when I think you will get the best enjoyment from your GLA. And when I refer to "you", that is to mean "you" in general, not one particular individual.
For being a 2.0 Turbo, it has good power through out the RPM range.
It looks good, rides good, (with 30 lbs tire pressure in all 4 tires) handles well for the type of vehicle it is, although I could make some tweaks to handle better. And it just a pleasure to drive.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.