post #1 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Using Key Fob while Engine is on

Hi guys,

I was trying to use my key fob to unlock/lock the door while the engine is on. However, I cannot do it! This seems a stupid design if you cannot lock a car that engine is on with the key. Anyone had similar experience? (I have a 2019 GLA 250 with the push start button, but not the keyless entry package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 06:07 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 CLA45 AMG !
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Maybe for preventing people of letting there car running for "nothing". ?

Campagna T-Rex 14R 2011
Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015
post #3 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Especially true with Eco Start Stop. There have been problems with people exiting their car while not in park with the engine able to restart.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-28-2019, 07:38 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA 250 AWD and FWD (yes, 2)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity, can you give us a scenario where you would want to lock the doors of a running vehicle?

I did so by accident as a teen (in the 60's) and had to walk four miles home and back again to get a spare key. After that embarrassing situation I've never done so since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408949886 View Post
Hi guys,

I was trying to use my key fob to unlock/lock the door while the engine is on. However, I cannot do it! This seems a stupid design if you cannot lock a car that engine is on with the key. Anyone had similar experience? (I have a 2019 GLA 250 with the push start button, but not the keyless entry package)

2018 GLA 250 AWD in MA and FWD in FL

Last edited by turbolink; 08-29-2019 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Edited OP screen name in quote
post #5 of 16 Old 08-29-2019, 02:55 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey52 View Post
Just out of curiosity, can you give us a scenario where you would want to lock the doors of a running vehicle?
Winters are cold here in Minnesota. You want to start your car and leave it running to warm it up, but don't want anyone else to jump in and drive off.

To hesitate is a waste of time.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
And yet with modern motors you want to drive off gently rather than have the car idle cold with no load for extended periods of time.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA 250 AWD and FWD (yes, 2)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Years ago when I used to travel frequently to Minneapolis in Winter most everyone had electric dipstick or engine block blanket heaters. Is this no longer the case?
And as we know, best not to leave idling, both for the engine itself and the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichZilla View Post
Winters are cold here in Minnesota. You want to start your car and leave it running to warm it up, but don't want anyone else to jump in and drive off.

2018 GLA 250 AWD in MA and FWD in FL
post #8 of 16 Old 08-29-2019, 02:48 PM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey52 View Post
Years ago when I used to travel frequently to Minneapolis in Winter most everyone had electric dipstick or engine block blanket heaters. Is this no longer the case?
And as we know, best not to leave idling, both for the engine itself and the environment.
Block heaters are still VERY common in Minnesota, but mostly in the northern half of the state. I grew up 10 miles from the Canadian border, and it was very common to wake up to -40 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning. It could go for a week without ever getting above -20F. In those temps, nothing wants to move, including your engine. Any workplace that has a night shift will typically provide electrical boxes so the employees can plug their cars in, and they will start at the end of the shift. Now I live in the southern half of the state where temps are generally 20 degrees warmer in the winter. We still hit -20F though.

Definitely not good to let a vehicle idle forever, but sometimes you just need things to get warmed up before you start moving. I've had it happen where the car is fully up to operating temp, but it's so cold out that when you get on the highway, the radiator and water lines freeze up while you're driving, and the motor will actually overheat. Happened last winter up north. Not in a Mercedes though

So back on topic, I REALLY wish I could leave the car running and get out and lock the doors. This is actually something that really frustrates me.

To hesitate is a waste of time.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 AM

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
That's what remote start is for. Since OP has the 2019 model, I'm pretty sure it comes with it standard (my 2017 already this way). All you need is Mercedes Me app on your phone.
gbarringer likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
There is no remote today that will let the fob hen ACC is powered. None. Not Honda, Merc, Mazda, Autopage, Clifford, etc.

It is a design feature, and to make it work you need to go aftermarket and bypass the ACC wire on the unit so the brain doesn't know ACC is powered. Otherwise, forget it.

User Tag List