Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

How noisy is your GLA?

16K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Richard Carlson 
#1 ·
Anybody of you measured how noisy is GLA?
I have impression mine is quite noisy. More noisy than my second car - Nissan Quashqai (Rogue).
I used noise meter today. I checked on highway.
GLA Results:
90kmh (56mph)- 66dB
130kmh (80mph)- 70dB

#2 ·
I can't speak to the dB level, but the GLAs were noisy from first introduction...road and wind sounds. Some additional noise reduction was done for model year 2016, but I am not aware what might have been done since. Many US GLA owners were surprised to find a carpet of sorts at the top of the rear wheel wells (2015 and 2016 models, unsure about later years). That was done as a noise reduction measure for the rear wheels.

#3 ·
Anybody of you measured how noisy is GLA?

I have impression mine is quite noisy. More noisy than my second car - Nissan Quashqai (Rogue).

I used noise meter today. I checked on highway.

GLA Results:

90kmh (56mph)- 66dB

130kmh (80mph)- 70dB
I agree, its noiser than the Corolla and Soul that I have as well as the Encore that I use to have.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have a 2018 GLA45 and it seems very quiet to me? MUCH quieter than the Subaru STi had for my previous car. I think my GLA45 is just as quiet as my 2014 E350 wagon I have now too. I remember the quietness being a very odd thing when I bought the car. It was so quiet I couldn't use that as a reference for speed, and I was going way too fast all the time. In the STi I could almost tell how fast I was going with my eyes closed! Ha ha ha!

I wonder if it is the tire difference? I've got the 20" Conti Sport Contact 5P on mine. Maybe the tires on the GLA250/220 are the main cause of the noise?

Road surface plays a major factor, but obviously we'd be talking about using the same roads for a comparison.

#5 ·
My 2017 45 is quieter than my Porsche 997 but not as quiet as my F250.

But it did get quieter when I installed the Michelin MP4S tires (vs the 20" Contis).

Tires can make a big difference.

But there is wind and mechanical noise as well.

A couple years ago there were some posts about adding sound deadening material inside the doors and elsewhere. This was a part of adding high end audio systems.

This is an A (not E) Class vehicle ... Something to be remembered.

#7 ·
Michelin tires have always helped quiet road noise for me, as well as aiding in a more comfortable ride. Being "entry level" the GLA is not as quiet as Mercedes is generally noteworthy, but still good for a CUV/SUV.

Related, it's also interesting that the GLA doesn't have a hood insulation pad, yet the CLA does. Perhaps greater engine-hood clearance in the GLA so not deemed necessary for heat insulation and again CUV so not deemed worthy of greater sound deadening.

#11 ·
Ok guys, i just ordered soundproofing my GLA. It will happen in 4 weeks :)
I want to have full soundproofing of my car- doors, floors, ceiling, wheels- generally all what is possible.
To give you idea how it looks like, I found web page where similar soundproofing is presented.
Mercedes GLA (W156) Soundproofing | Car Soundproofing and Noise Insulation Services

Actually as you can on photos- there is very little original factory sound absorbing mats!
Yes, it the reason why GLA is so noisy. We have some kind of flor carpets and that is it. Nothing more.
I was really surprised when I have seen those photos first time.

I am really hoping such full soundproofing will decrease noise significantly, especially during driving on highway.
I talked to garage owner, what noise level drop I can expect- and I was informed it should be about 4dB.
So, if now I am driving 130km/h and noise level is about 69,5 (measured with dedicated noise measure), after soundproofing it would drop to 65,5dB- I will be very happy.
So, fingers crossed :)

#12 ·
Ok guys, i just ordered soundproofing my GLA. It will happen in 4 weeks :)
I want to have full soundproofing of my car- doors, floors, ceiling, wheels- generally all what is possible.
To give you idea how it looks like, I found web page where similar soundproofing is presented.
Mercedes GLA (W156) Soundproofing | Car Soundproofing and Noise Insulation Services

Actually as you can on photos- there is very little original factory sound absorbing mats!
Yes, it the reason why GLA is so noisy. We have some kind of flor carpets and that is it. Nothing more.
I was really surprised when I have seen those photos first time.

I am really hoping such full soundproofing will decrease noise significantly, especially during driving on highway.
I talked to garage owner, what noise level drop I can expect- and I was informed it should be about 4dB.
So, if now I am driving 130km/h and noise level is about 69,5 (measured with dedicated noise measure), after soundproofing it would drop to 65,5dB- I will be very happy.
So, fingers crossed :)
Wow... and how much they charge you for that???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.