Anybody doing their own maintenance, and repair work yet? - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-31-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anybody doing their own maintenance, and repair work yet?

Ok fellow GLA owners. As of February, my warranty was up. That means, the dealership just lost my repair/maintenance business. Is there anyone out there doing their, own maintenance/repair work? I am getting ready to do a major repair with my father in law. Mercedes quoted 8k on a rear differential swap. I found a salvaged Rear differential for $450. After buying new seals, and fluids, it looks, to come out to around $650 in parts. My wife and I both had mid 2000s Jettas, lasting almost 300k miles on each. My father in law, has done major engine repairs, and suspension repairs on both. So my question is, who was worked on a late model Mercedes, and how hot is the fire, we are playing with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
I've done all my maintenance to date on Pam's 45 (2+ years and 20K miles). No repairs have been required and due to computer required assistance the transmission oil will be a dealer job at 30K miles.

Maintenance has been easy. I can't speak for jobs like PVC valve replacement. I can't see the rear diff as a difficult task especially if you have a lift.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission temp sensor on 45 AMG

I have doing all of my own maintenance except the transmission fluid. That one just scares me a bit. Does anyone know where the transmission temperature sensor is located on a 2015 GLA45 AMG? I am getting a p0771 code.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Car Year & Model: 2015GLA45AMG
What were some of the things you've done during the 2+ years 20k miles? My warranty ends next week and I've got 26k miles in my 2015 45AMG and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I've done all my maintenance to date on Pam's 45 (2+ years and 20K miles). No repairs have been required and due to computer required assistance the transmission oil will be a dealer job at 30K miles.

Maintenance has been easy. I can't speak for jobs like PVC valve replacement. I can't see the rear diff as a difficult task especially if you have a lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Only the basics ...

Oil and filter three times with a fourth on the near horizon.

Cabin filter.

Air filter.

Rear differential oil once with a second coming soon.

Tire rotations three times.

Brake fluid flush with another coming up.

A few cosmetic modifications.

It was on the dealer for the clock spring recall.

It was on the tire shop for new Michelin MPS4s and an alignment.

Beyond that ... Nothing needed.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Not bad at all. So you were changing the oil at about 5k miles? Cabin and air filter one time and a brake fluid flush in the 20k miles. I've had mines just hit 6k in my ownership time (26k total miles) so I guess I should get ready for an oil change. The color on the oil and level looks good but it's better to be safe. Thanks!

Quote:
Only the basics ...

Oil and filter three times with a fourth on the near horizon.

Cabin filter.

Air filter.

Rear differential oil once with a second coming soon.

Tire rotations three times.

Brake fluid flush with another coming up.

A few cosmetic modifications.

It was on the dealer for the clock spring recall.

It was on the tire shop for new Michelin MPS4s and an alignment.

Beyond that ... Nothing needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

History across a wide user base using Mobil One in my Porsche 997.2 9A1 motor indicates viscosity breakdown begins around 3K miles. By 5K miles it is time to replace. That motor puts out 100 HP per liter.

The 45 engine puts out 200 HP per liter (it's 1.9 liters, not 2) so the stresses have got to be higher. I wouldn't go past 5K miles.

There are other options like Motul or Driven (they make an oil specifically for DFI motors to guard against LSPI and possible bore scoring ... an issue with the Porsche M96 and M97 motors without DFI and a possible safe guard on the 9A1 motors).

I don't know that the issues are the same with the MB motors vs the flat sixes of Porsche.

Meanwhile I'm sticking with Mobil One during warranty at least ... plus I've got gallons of the stuff waiting to be used!!!

Thinking about oil ... we haven't seen an oil thread on this Forum!!! Please be polite 😎
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 10:32 PM

Car Year & Model: 2001 audi s4 avant
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
History across a wide user base using Mobil One in my Porsche 997.2 9A1 motor indicates viscosity breakdown begins around 3K miles. By 5K miles it is time to replace. That motor puts out 100 HP per liter.

The 45 engine puts out 200 HP per liter (it's 1.9 liters, not 2) so the stresses have got to be higher. I wouldn't go past 5K miles.

There are other options like Motul or Driven (they make an oil specifically for DFI motors to guard against LSPI and possible bore scoring ... an issue with the Porsche M96 and M97 motors without DFI and a possible safe guard on the 9A1 motors).

I don't know that the issues are the same with the MB motors vs the flat sixes of Porsche.

Meanwhile I'm sticking with Mobil One during warranty at least ... plus I've got gallons of the stuff waiting to be used!!!

Thinking about oil ... we haven't seen an oil thread on this Forum!!! Please be polite 😎

Wayne, i have to ask, what are you basing your oil change mileage on? I have a 2001 Audi S4 twin turbo, modified to twice stock HP and my oil analysis samples from Blackstone Oil Analysis say I'm good for up to 6,500 miles between changes. And, the intervals continue to increase.

Just because an engine is high HP does that mean that it is high stressed? My S4 boost goes to over 23 psi, over twice what it was stock. Certainly, this is more stress than stock, but does that mean it is going to blow? I have 154k miles on it now in 18 yrs.

Please let me know if i need to be worried about our 45s. Have we had a lot of engine failures? If Mercedes continues to increase the HP, why would they if they have been having engine failures?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

First, I don't know of any problems with the 45 motors regarding reliability. This discussion had led to wondering how often to change your oil. I offered some anecdotal information to justify my decision to use 5K miles intervals. Sorry if this created any grief.

Different motors will affect oil in different ways. Playing in mountain passes I get the oil in my 997.2 up to 275F. The 45 never gets close to that. Heat will reduce oil life. The life in the 45 is probably greater than in the 997.2. So I extended the change interval to 5K miles for the 45. Could that be further extended? Perhaps but oil changes are cheap IMHO.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Oil battle! I kid I kid. There are a lot of factors on mileage intervals. Is the car used for daily is it just for the weekend? Mileage and driving usage of the car will factor how often to change the oil. Appreciate everyones input.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page