LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: GLA250 Sept 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Blind Spot Assist inoperative

I see an earlier thread (2016) on this subject however it doesn't expand to the level of issues I have. I would like to reach out and canvas any other issues per below and or thoughts......

I know there was a reference to scanning equipment but alas I am not savy on that front.

So, my issue is:

I am in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and the original owner of a GLA250 (X156 AU) with Build Date 1/9/2014 (rec'd it in Nov 2014). I have had it serviced always by a MB dealership. I have had multiple issues with the Blind Spot Assist coming up on dash screen stating 'Blind Spot Assist inoperable' (refer attached pic) - obviously, this results in my Blind Spot Assist not working. It is inconsistent and I cannot determine if there is anything that triggers it. In almost all cases it remains like this until the end of my journey or on the odd occasion it then just becomes operable - I receive no advice other than I notice it working.

I took it up with my dealership at the 1st year service. They found no fault. I was advised that my key fob kept a memory of the last 25 faults so bring the car in soon after an 'inoperable' reading and they can action from there. I did so and advised "oh sorry, 'inoperable' is not considered a fault" ....... hmmmmm.

I then took it back post say 3 months reporting it again and now detailing it's frequency ie 3 times in a day, multiples in a week, then nothing for a week then multiples ........ again they say no fault and then claimed it was being disturbed by interference when driving through a tunnel or maybe my sensors were dirty. I keep a VERY clean car so that was a big 'NO' on the dirty sensors suggestion; plus if that was the case why didn't they show me that when collecting my car. I occasionally travel a tunnel and in my opinion 95% plus (I can't guarantee 100%) that 'inoperable' was on general driving conditions outside of a tunnel. I started documenting (by photographing each incidence with time and date stamping) so I could now be more specific. I was averaging over 6 months of 17 'inoperable' events a month. In reporting this they then suggest that my frequency of 17 plus is not outside of it's performance ........ hmmmm are now becoming HMMMMMM.

I reported this multiple times and they say they tried to identify to rectify but never have been able to. I lost confidence with this dealer and now at my recall on the Grounding of the Steering Column I am going to another dealer for the recall matter plus ask them on the issue.

Has anyone any similar experience or knowledge on this issue? I would like to resolve this as it is the ONLY blemish on this beaut car!!

Thanking in advance,

Cheers

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blind Spot Assist inoperable.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	23338  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I doubt this will help but ...

I got this message once when driving through a snowstorm with ice and slush. Build up on the car interfered with the sensors. Once we got past the mountain pass and the temperature got above freezing, the ice melted, and the sensors returned.
Aussie_64 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
As you will note my car is a 2015. I have had two interactions with the dealer related to Blind Spot Assist Inoperative. At the first instance, about a year and a half ago. they had to remove the rear bumper and install new 'Cans', because they said the old ones were corroded. Whatever they did solved the problem until this past winter. It seems that I got the message when it was very cold out. I reported it at my February B service and they investigated. This was their report: "Connected battery charger and performed quick test. Found codes for sensor 8 not configured and message missing. Performed visual inspection of sensors and harness. Did not find any corrosion or defects. Followed guided test and performed control unit initialization and coding. Cleared codes and performed second quick test. Performed test drive. No codes returned and all is functioning properly at this time." In fact, the system has been functioning normally since then. It also got warmer.
Aussie_64 likes this.

2015 GLA250 Polar Silver Black MB Tex FWD
H19 Poplar Trim 234 Blind Spot Assist
413 Panorama Sunroof 508 Becker Map Pilot
889 Keyless Go 00A Illuminated Star
068 Wheel locking bolts P01 Premium Package (Sirius, Media Interface, Heated front seats, HK Logic 7, Garage, Compass, Auto dim, 2 zone Climate

post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: GLA250 Sept 2014
(Thread Starter)
Fbsdmd - thanks. Interesting info and duly noted. When at the new MB dealer last week collecting my car after the recall on the 'Steering Column Ground', I raised the issues of my 'inoperable Blind Spot Assist' etc. They showed surprise that it couldn't be resolved by my previous dealer and have offered to run a diagnostic on it for $286 AUD and if able to find it will take it to MB Aust ....... and though out of warranty they believe MB will come to the party. It will be interesting with my next dealer chat when I raise your comments (I am back there this afternoon collecting my wife's GLE350d).

I have booked my diagnostic for 28th June ...... hmmmmm a little apprehensive.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Good luck.

2015 GLA250 Polar Silver Black MB Tex FWD
H19 Poplar Trim 234 Blind Spot Assist
413 Panorama Sunroof 508 Becker Map Pilot
889 Keyless Go 00A Illuminated Star
068 Wheel locking bolts P01 Premium Package (Sirius, Media Interface, Heated front seats, HK Logic 7, Garage, Compass, Auto dim, 2 zone Climate
post #6 of 6 Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM

BlindSpot Assist

Have the same problem! I live in Texas and my Blindspot Assist goes out 3-4 times per day during the hot and sunny summer months. Works great all winter or on cloudy days.
Brought it in to the dealer for this issue twice, but they say that can't find anything wrong. It is maddening.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page