7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 11-10-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Eco Start/Stop not working due to battery charge?

Hi all,

My Eco Start/Stop kind of stopped working, so I took my car to the dealer.

They asked me if I don't drive my car enough, because Eco start/stop has a dedicated battery that needs to be charged at least 80%. And this wouldn't be charged if I don't drive frequently enough. (In fact, I only drive 30mins-1 hr ish for grocery once a week. Is this a known issue?

Thanks,
rjk254
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Yes there is a small auxiliary battery for the ECO stop/go. There have been problems with it keeping the charge to work. The last time I had a problem the dealer replaced it and did an update on the software on my GLA250 2016. It has work properly now for 4 months. There are times it is not driven for a week but have no problem. There is a very long list of things that pass a check for the ECO to work it is more than just a battery must be charged.

My GLA set on the dealers new car lot for 6 months and not driven as it only had 2 miles on it at purchase. The ECO was working when purchased. It stopped working after 7 months, dealer replaced battery and it worked for a month and stopped again and dealer replaced the second battery and did software update and it was worked for the pass 7 months.
turbolink likes this.

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black

Last edited by gbarringer; 11-10-2017 at 04:54 PM.
post #3 of 47 Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
It does seem to be a known problem. If you search on "Eco Start/Stop" in the Search box, you'll find lots of discussion on it, much of it from me. I can go several days of no operation and when that has happened in the past the Eco system has dropped out, very hard to resuscitate. If you read about the Eco system in your console digital operator manual, there are quite a few engine/auto system parameters that need to cooperate for it to activate.

As a personal history, the first time mine went out dealer service replaced the auxiliary battery. That lasted maybe a month. The second time they did a manual re-programming of the computer code. That lasted about 2-3 months. The third time...not sure what they did, as they said it worked fine on their check. It lasted a couple weeks, then went out. It was just after that time the light came on for me that not operating it frequently does degrade the system, perhaps not enough charge to the auxiliary battery. I believe, but am not certain, the regenerative braking system (one of the driver console screen gauges with Range, Consumption, and Max Charge...goes green when you are braking) is an indicator of the auxiliary battery getting charged.

That said, mine last stopped working at the end of January 2017. It was just in for the first B Service, and the Eco was again repaired, said to have done a software update, whatever that means. Three days later, it's still working. Knock on wood! However, another member was recently having his second or third bout of Eco going inop, took it in for repair, and reported essentially the same fix, a software upgrade. Perhaps there is a new fix out, so I'd encourage you not to endure it for 10 months like I did, get it checked out at a dealer. For the driving I do on an island, it seems to make a 2 MPH difference. Please keep us posted and may the Force be with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3140.jpg
Views:	2332
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	20577  

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights

post #4 of 47 Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Auxiliary Battery

As an added datapoint, here's the schematic of where the auxiliary battery is located (it's a frequent question here):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 12.10.52 PM.png
Views:	4156
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	20585  

2016 GLA250 FWD
post #5 of 47 Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 AM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
turbolink what happen with you is the same as me, they replaced battery several times and did some updates along the way. The last time was the end of March 2017 and that ended by problems. They did a battery replacement and update of systems. ECO has been 100% for 7 months.

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black
post #6 of 47 Old 11-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarringer View Post
turbolink what happen with you is the same as me, they replaced battery several times and did some updates along the way. The last time was the end of March 2017 and that ended by problems. They did a battery replacement and update of systems. ECO has been 100% for 7 months.
Yes, you were the member I was referring to. It seems we've shared a common path. I hope my outcome is as fortunate as yours! Eco is great when it works. Courage!

2016 GLA250 FWD
post #7 of 47 Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
For 45 owners reading this, i think you have to be in "C" for the aux batt to charge, which of course never happens
post #8 of 47 Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA45
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
(45) You have to be in C for the system to be enabled. It charges just fine at all times running, but button or not will only engage for me in C mode. I thought it might be the manual, but it will engage on c-manual. EDIT: Button, light, nada.. if I'm in my I* mode (S+/manual), start stop will never activate.

The car sitting for a week or more should not impact it until it's about 4 years on and the battery's inherent capacity is fading. He gave you the standard granny-spiel. I've given it hundreds of times for little old ladies wondering why their corolla eats batteries when it's driven twice a month to the grocery store. Probably also a possibility for turbolink, but my friends on the island tell me the traffic is bad enough that they take the 30+ minute drives all the time just going to work.

Basically, if your motor is running for 30 minutes at a time about once a month it should be fine. Now, I never had to account for start/stop in that, but I think it will not make a huge difference. The short hops are what kills batteries, as the alternator doesn't have enough time to fully recharge the battery before it's shut off.
post #9 of 47 Old 11-11-2017, 10:13 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
I am just happy that my ECO has stopped working.

I usually turn it off every time I start the car, regardless if it is going to be a 2min or a 1hr drive.

So one day, after 2 years of doing that, I decided to just leave the ECO button untouched when I go out, and lo and behold, the ECO icon doesn't change from yellow to green, no matter how long I drive the car for. And that made me smile.

MY2015 GLA45 AMG TTE450+ / Exterior: Mountain Grey w/ blacked out chrome / Interior: Black & Red Highlights / The Turbo Engineers / Goodridge / FTP Motorsports / Nitron / PiperCross / KCDesign / Brabus / Forge Motorsports / H&R Trak+ / SSR Wheels / KAP Industries / AMS Performance / Scorpion / CR Racing / LaserShades / Tuned by SK Garage
post #10 of 47 Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
HI All.
I have it fixed on my first service, changed the battery and it worked for a few weeks, and its Caput again.I will have it looked at next service before warranty expires but it will be a while . So plenty of time .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page