Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

Activate Carplay & Android Auto

212K views 336 replies 68 participants last post by  jimmyho2006 
#1 ·
#4 ·
1st gen CarPlay (2016 models) head unit does not support Android Auto. Only 2017 or newer models do both.

Depending on the manufacture date of the car, some later 2016 models can be updated to add Android Auto support. In fact, if you check the web site linked to that video above, it also mentioned 2016.6 requirement.

#6 ·
Best way is through your MB service department, let them run your VIN for compatible equipment. There's a however, however...some dealers are too quick to say yes or no without a real deep dive. Took some sustained effort to get to the real answer on Apple CarPlay retro-fit for my September 2015-built GLA250 without the COMAND system. A firm no, unfortunately. December 2015 was the magic date for CarPlay-capable production, only with the COMAND system (the full Multimedia Package).

#7 ·
I have an March 2016 build GLA250 without COMAND and have been told there's no way to get Android Auto. I had a loaner 2017 without COMAND that did have Android Auto (I don't know what COMAND looks like, the GUI was nearly identical to my 2016). What am I missing from my 2016 that the 2017 has? I haven't been able to get an answer to that.

Thanks,
Jeff

#23 ·
I and another member have done it. It does not change anything other than activate CarPlay and/or Android Auto. But there are a few things that you need to do before going off to buy one.

The year and month of delivery (use MB VIN or check the label on the drivers door) is a dependency. It should be at least 12/2015. The HMI must be 09/2016.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#27 ·
On the COMAND it doesn't do anything different from non-CarPlay port. If you look in the settings menus on the device, the iPhone has a CarPlay menu even when not connected, the iPod does not. Source: I used an iPod as my media source for over a decade until iOS 11 fixed the night shifting in CarPlay. I took my iPod out less than three months ago.

#28 · (Edited)
I'm in the same boat here, I have an April 2016 (registration date) car with Carplay but no Android Auto.

I have codes 14U, 16U but I'm missing 17U. I've spoken to my dealership in London and they said it's potentially possible, but I need to bring the car in to definitively say.

I have heard of various people from other countries that it's possible.

A few questions: how do I check what HMI I have, whatever this may mean?

And how do I check the build date of my car?

I have the shipment date in a PDF with all the codes it came equipped with. I can't find anywhere the build date. For what it's worth, the shipment date is 11th February 2016

I'm quite confident it's a 2016 build, because it obviously has Carplay.

#31 ·
The most thorough I have used is based in Ukraine, which is a caution flag to some, but I had no problem using it several times (up to you):

carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check

I've never heard any complaints about any of them, was trying to find the official one from MB, but cannot locate that URL. However, when I used it, the data was not as complete as the one above. Do a search on "VIN decoder" in our Search box on the upper right (most browsers) and you'll find many threads with suggestions. This iPhone app is often referenced:

http://www.glaowners.com/forum/mercedes-benz-gla-general-discussion/17721-data-card-build-sheet.html

#33 ·
For the VIN I use MB Vin Decoder (available on iOS and Android). Lookout for delivery date.

HMI version (should be at least 2016/06) can be retrieved use the following key combination (use with caution - only use it to locate the version and not anything else):

"Red Hangup" + "1" + "#" - can't emphasize again be very careful with what you press.

MB calls HMI "Human Machine Interface".

When you decide to purchase you should provide all your car details model, delivery/build month & year, HMI ver & dates to autosvs. Do not chance it. Got to be sure before buying. Ask them questions.

I know it works on my 2016 GLA (12/2015 delivery date and HMI 07/11/2016).

If your HMI is not at least 06/2016 you can try to get MB dealer to update, they may give you all sorts of reasons not to update. But that I you have to convince them. And you may have to pay for it.

So whatever you do just have to be very careful.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

#39 ·
Not really sure I follow. I tried both 'Red Hangup' + '*' + 3 and 'Red Hangup' + '#' + 3 and neither of them worked.

'Red Hangup' + '*' + '3', initially brought a message, reading from USB drive, and then it obviously said failed. so I suspect this is the right combination, however, I need some sort of USB drive to load it.

I'm not desperate to find the HMI, I will take it to the dealer in February and see if I can get Android Auto. Otherwise, there's a a company near Heathrow that can do this for a charge. They work with Mercedes and they said to me that having checked my VIN that it is possible to add Android Auto. I'm using this option as my last resort after Mercedes tells me it's not possible.