I need a replacement Mykey and remote(Keyless Go). - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-07-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I need a replacement Mykey and remote(Keyless Go).

Hi, I am a new-be, and just got my new green 2016 GLA. I am looking to have a remote starter put in my 2016 GLA. I contacted Mercedes Remote Starts to have a remote starter (a Mid City remote) put in the car. They said I would need to give up my spare Mykey/remote. I contacted MB dealer and they want $375 for a spare Mykey/remote and another $140 to program it. Two questions: has anyone had this remote starter installed in a 2016 GLA and did you have to give up your spare key? Second: Does this sound like a fair price for a spare key? Anyplace cheaper to purchase one?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did your car come with 2 key fobs? If not your dealership is playing you, as you should have received 2 when you took delivery. When i took delivery they could not find my second keyfob around the dealership (took them a while just to find 1 key to my car). But they ordered the 2nd key and the programmed it a few weeks later.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Check the dealer for the model number of the key fob, if it's not on the key fob itself, then search Ebay. I did a quick search of Ebay for MB X156 Key Fob and found several for around $50.00 or less. I'd also try searching you tube for a video on programming it. Not sure if there is one, or what the programming involves, but for most cars it's just a sequence of events between the vehicle and the key fob. Just curios, do the remote start not come with it's own fob? Seems most have their own that will also lock/unlock the doors.

Paul...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 GLA250, Night Black/Ash
Premium Package, Aluminum Trim
Panoramic Sunroof, Rearview Camera
Blind Spot Assist, 19" Wheels
Garmin Map Pilot GPS Ver. 6.0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA 250SUV
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I did find a plethora of cool OEM accessories on eBay, don't know if they are knock offs. The risk is that most of the vendors are from Russia Federation, from Czechoslovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, etc.. and yes you will find spare FOB keys on eBay.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Not all those foreign seller are bad, I definitely recommend checking their feedback before ordering. I bought my Garmin Map Pilot GPS SD Card from a Romanian, he even accepted my offer that was lower than his "buy it now" price, that was already less than half what the US sellers were asking. It took a bit longer to arrive, but works perfectly. It appears most of the parts they are selling come from U.S. Spec vehicles that have been imported to their country, and for whatever reason, aren't needed or get replaced. In the case of the Map Pilot, it's pretty obvious the North America Maps aren't in huge demand in Europe! Point being, you may be able to get an OEM fob at a better price from one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul...

2016 GLA250, Night Black/Ash
Premium Package, Aluminum Trim
Panoramic Sunroof, Rearview Camera
Blind Spot Assist, 19" Wheels
Garmin Map Pilot GPS Ver. 6.0

post #6 of 17 Old 02-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Garage
I have other MB cars and the key flop is coded by MB to each car and what you buy non MB most likely can not be programed to your car. Dealer prices and programing is an area of question. I seem on another form dealers charge 200 to 400 for a new key flop and programing can cost additional amounts. I bought a new key flop from my dealer and paid 200 and picked it two days later. It was shipped to the dealer from a regional center and it was pre programmed. I have seem other that reported the same as they come pre programed based on your vin number.

Be Careful in buying from non MB source and if possible check with different dealers as they are free to price what every they like. When getting a new key flop be prepared to show proof of ownership to parts department to order one. This is for your protection to keep anyone getting a key flop for your car.

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes it did come with two keys but I understand the remote will need the spare key to function. It will be hidden in the car. thanks
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes it can come with a fob but since it is keyless I understand that a key(fob) has to be hidden in the car to trick the car to start?
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Was the fob for a GLA, and it came programed? My dealer wanted $375 PLUS $140 to program it.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Anyone have a Mid City remote installed?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page