4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-26-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Harman Kardon Logic7

Heard from several dealers that the HK LOGIC7 is not a popular option. Is it really that bad that it doesn't wa rant $1,000 (CDN)? It feels like I'm doubting my decision even beforemy GLA arrives.

Also, to use it with iPhone 5s, Do I need to buy a separate iPhone cable (and where) o is it included in the package?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
With very few exceptions, most OEM upgraded audio systems are criticized for on thing or the other. Bose system is constantly blasted by the Corvette crowd, Porsche and BMW folks generally condemn upgraded stereos in their cars but justify things with "its a drivers car…listen to the engine etc." and forget the stereo. Forums generally reflect automotive enthusiasts and that tends to 'focus' and expanded criticisms of one type or the other.

I for one, have no problems with the sound quality of the HK Logic7 system, but I also probably have diminished frequency hearing since I am over 50 and I do not like 'boom box thump thump' stereos etc. Each to his own, so I suggest you go to a dealer and take a listen for yourself (take a CD/DVD, SD etc so you can try out different modes…you decide.

My one complaint about the audio system has nothing to do with the Logic7 sound quality, but everything to do with the lack of audio quality of Sirius/XM.

My GLA came with a iPhone cable (new style connector stored in the center console)
Xtheunknown and Steve like this.

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA
post #3 of 33 Old 09-26-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ah. Then you are my kind of crowd. I'm am an AV consultant with audiophile tendencies. I want my car to be quiet enough so I can enjoy my CDs (i own about 2,000 of them).

I like balanced sound so I guess for only $1000 I don't have too much to lose if it doesn't meet my expectations.

Thank you for the reply.

post #4 of 33 Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The sound quality of the system itself is not the problem (it is actually significantly better than the Bose system of the traded-off Cadillac, IMO), it is the default mode/tone settings that are bothersome to me (not even close to being as bad as Beats Audio settings). But that is nothing that a few adjustments will not take care of. The wife likes it as it is. Unfortunately the nature of the vehicle itself is the primary impediment to a great audio experience. But then that is not an uncommon condition in the average car. I do not think that even a Burmester system could overcome the inherent faults. Far better than trying to get good sound reproduction in a open boat though.

As far as Sirius/XM, it is a lost cause. They allocate too little bandwidth to each of too many channels. Their low sampling rates and dynamic range compression allow for the low bandwidths. Some channels are marginally better than others but unfortunately most are really pinched.

Last edited by doyall; 09-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-11-2015, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCow View Post
Heard from several dealers that the HK LOGIC7 is not a popular option. Is it really that bad that it doesn't wa rant $1,000 (CDN)? It feels like I'm doubting my decision even beforemy GLA arrives.

Also, to use it with iPhone 5s, Do I need to buy a separate iPhone cable (and where) o is it included in the package?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCow View Post

Hi Cow

I just got my GLA 250 2016 today from Silver Star Montreal with Harman Kardon Logic 7 Audio System Upgraded 1000$.
Play it with my Spotify app for the night out. Somehow, it wasnt satisfy me 100% esp the clarify level. it has good amount of bass and tremble, i probably gotta play around the FADER option a little bit more to satisfy me in the front seat. But im not regret getting this system because 1000$ wasnt a big deal
But i have to say it a lot betters than my GFs RX 350 2013 default stereo system

BTW, if your iphone connected by the wire it sounds better than run it over bluetooth, but im still sticking with the bluetooth method because it conveniences. And i LOVE the car, just got time to drive it for the night but i love it. And it so lame that MB Canada doesnt have the Mbrace service like in the US
FatCow likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 12-05-2015, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The HK system in our GLA is very disappointing. It's bass is not very deep, and vocals sound like a tin can. Treble is okay at best. The system sounds slightly better with the Logic 7 turned off. Our Mini Countryman also a HK system but sounds much better and worth the extra money.
post #7 of 33 Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I have the HK sytem and it sounds muddy,it's one of my main complaints about the car. I had a loaner from the dealership with the base system and it sounded the exact same to me. Source is very important but still. And to add insult to injury it is cost prohibitive to upgrade as it uses fiber optic connections.
post #8 of 33 Old 12-06-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrat View Post
I have the HK sytem and it sounds muddy,it's one of my main complaints about the car. I had a loaner from the dealership with the base system and it sounded the exact same to me. Source is very important but still. And to add insult to injury it is cost prohibitive to upgrade as it uses fiber optic connections.
What source do you use? I use only CD and 320kbps MP3 and it diesn't sound muddy at all (just received the car last Friday).

I agree, however, it is not much an improvement over my base stereo in the C250.

The bass, however, is much cleaner than the C250. Not louder, just much cleaner.

Is it worth the $1,000 upgrade? I'm still ambivalent about its value.
post #9 of 33 Old 12-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
oddly enough streaming sirius from my iphone sounds better than the sirius tuner.Really if i was not being lazy i would load up a card with highest quality compression music. I wouldn't mind as much if i weren't reminded every time i get in my 20 year old winter beater truck with the nice punchy clear sound from jl amp and nice speakers etc. Maybe an aftermarket solution will come along.
post #10 of 33 Old 12-06-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrat View Post
oddly enough streaming sirius from my iphone sounds better than the sirius tuner.Really if i was not being lazy i would load up a card with highest quality compression music. I wouldn't mind as much if i weren't reminded every time i get in my 20 year old winter beater truck with the nice punchy clear sound from jl amp and nice speakers etc. Maybe an aftermarket solution will come along.
I find regardless of head unit manufacturer, Sirius/XM built into it always sound line crap as it goes max at 64kbps whereas home/phone as you're using internet data, you can choose the best quality available.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page