LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New owner of a rare 2015 GLA45 AMG

Hello forum! I am super excited to have purchased a GLA45 AMG. Previous to this I owned 6 Nissan Jukes in all different models including the Nismo. I owned a rally company until recently as I have sold it and decided to slow down a bit 😉

Anyway, the GLA that I purchased was a lease return and was one of the first produced US models. That means no CarPlay (sadness) I have tried to skim the forums to understand the retrofit options but it seems to not be an option on my production of 08/14. If you have a solve please let me know as this one has Comand.

Why I chose this AMG out of many was because it was returned with 88 miles on the odometer. That is not a typo. My 2015 GLA has been driven less than one tank of gas in 4/5 years.... I could not pass it up. The owner paid for every option as it was the showroom model.

I am so stoked to begin my journey with Mercedes and in something so amazingly appointed from my days with Nissan. It will leave the dealership with the renntech tune and the alpha intake. I won’t be unhappy I’m sure!

Well I wanted to make sure I introduced myself and if you have anything I should know, quirks, worries etc. please don’t hesitate to reach out. I’m excited to be here
RevItUp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Welcome to the GLA forum. Your 45 AMG sounds like quite the rare find. If you've read through most of the archives on CarPlay and Android Auto, you probably noticed that a few members have devised workarounds to the MB school solution which generally was not compatible until 1 December 2015. The risks are warranty, which no longer applies for you most likely, and unintended collateral consequences. If you were just reviewing visible forum threads that look relevant, may I point you to our Search function, upper right on most browsers. You'll get quite a few thread hits by searching on the word "CarPlay."

We're an international forum with a variety of GLA derivatives represented. It's a good reference for others when you post if you add location, model and year to your member profile, which will then display under your name each time you post. You can do so from the User CP link, also on the upper right of most browsers.
gbarringer likes this.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights

Last edited by turbolink; 06-18-2019 at 01:18 AM.
post #3 of 62 Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015GLA45AMG
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
88 miles?!?!?!? Whatttt!! Congrats on that purchase! I hope you got a great deal for it. I can imagine how sweet it is with the Renntech tune and alpha intake. I have a 15 myself, bone stock but still love the thing.

AzSTMPR

15GLA45 of AMG Goodness!

post #4 of 62 Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My release date was 08-08-2014 for my AMG.

Your car is a totally different animal than any of the other GLA's out there, including most 2015's.

https://www.datamb.com/vin/

You can look up your options.

------------

for car play, if I recall correctly, you can find out your MOST version via the engineering menu of the GLA, which you can search online and here easily for how to get into the menu. I am pretty sure you are NTG4.5 though, I think that is what I am. (I don't think I am NTG4.3....)

There are tons of other options you will have no access to, but for the most part will be transparent to you. For example, your car security is on the FBS3 system (if you want a spare key the dealership sells them cheap), which you can tell right away by whether your car has Keyless GO or not. since your car has every option available at that time, you probably have no pushbutton start, and no passive entry. The option code is 805 with 055, which you probably don't have (I certainly don't have!)

Which really only matters if you are looking for the baseline control structure in the car to make keyless go work. If you are happy with the key, it's moot.

If you are looking at control system mods (like remote start) Your car is officially a 2014, because of FBS3.

--------------------------

If you are like me and want to install a stereo, the best place to intercept the COMMAND system is through the wire harness under the passenger side brake light (this is also where the "clean" ground is in the car). You can tap into all 8 speakers from the harness at this location with plenty of room to manage the harnessing.

------------

I have a similar tune and similar intake with the Alpha air filters. You will not be disappointed with that decision. I do plan to dyno the car but have not taken the time to do so yet. But should be north of 400 HP, which is quite excessive for a 4 piston car.

You'll find the transmission a little quirky, being a DCT, and Mercedes seems to have managed the throttle/power delivery at low RPM's in an unexpected way, but the charms of the car make it fairly easy to look past the foibles, particularly when you find yourself on a curvy road and not dipping under 3k RPM anyways.
post #5 of 62 Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
My release date was 08-08-2014 for my AMG.

Your car is a totally different animal than any of the other GLA's out there, including most 2015's.

https://www.datamb.com/vin/

You can look up

------------

for car play, if I recall correctly, you can find out your MOST version via the engineering menu of the GLA, which you can search online and here easily for how to get into the menu. I am pretty sure you are NTG4.5 though, I think that is what I am. (I don't think I am NTG4.3....)

There are tons of other options you will have no access to, but for the most part will be transparent to you. For example, your car security is on the FBS3 system (if you want a spare key the dealership sells them cheap), which you can tell right away by whether your car has Keyless GO or not. since your car has every option available at that time, you probably have no pushbutton start, and no passive entry. The option code is 805 with 055, which you probably don't have (I certainly don't have!)

Which really only matters if you are looking for the baseline control structure in the car to make keyless go work. If you are happy with the key, it's moot.

If you are looking at control system mods (like remote start) Your car is officially a 2014, because of FBS3.

--------------------------

If you are like me and want to install a stereo, the best place to intercept the COMMAND system is through the wire harness under the passenger side brake light (this is also where the "clean" ground is in the car). You can tap into all 8 speakers from the harness at this location with plenty of room to manage the harnessing.

------------

I have a similar tune and similar intake with the Alpha air filters. You will not be disappointed with that decision. I do plan to dyno the car but have not taken the time to do so yet. But should be north of 400 HP, which is quite excessive for a 4 piston car.

You'll find the transmission a little quirky, being a DCT, and Mercedes seems to have managed the throttle/power delivery at low RPM's in an unexpected way, but the charms of the car make it fairly easy to look past the foibles, particularly when you find yourself on a curvy road and not dipping under 3k RPM anyways.
Thank you so much for the info this is awesome. I’ll run through all this info for sure. Being in Utah I have a lot of curvy roads and I’m super excited!!
post #6 of 62 Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Dumb question, was your engine built by Jerome?
post #7 of 62 Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
Dumb question, was your engine built by Jerome?
Nico Kruger
post #8 of 62 Old 06-19-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolink View Post
It's a good reference for others when you post if you add location, model and year to your member profile, which will then display under your name each time you post. You can do so from the User CP link, also on the upper right of most browsers.
Went to the User CP area and I can’t seem to find a space to record info like location, model etc.
post #9 of 62 Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I just ripped her around tonight pretune and she seems pretty responsive. I’m curious if you notice quite a bit of difference from non tune to tune... it’s costing roughly $2080 to install the tune and I want to make sure that’s smiles per dollar. 😉
post #10 of 62 Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
For what it’s worth, here is my mbvin options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B42C455C-ED32-4E3B-A04D-641266A58641_1560925013093.png
Views:	64
Size:	503.0 KB