LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 75 Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
I know they do visual inspection here
Yes, in Colorado I've gone through **** with emissions on my Shelby and the built Subaru I had before that. I've failed 3 times for every time I've passed on those cars but they are both heavily modified, fully custom tunes, etc. Anyhow, yes, it must pass the OBD test and the gas cap test. Those parts are easy. From there it has to pass the sniffer - the exhaust gas analysis. Just 3 gasses, can't recall exactly what, but power-adders and custom tunes can create some problems here. The last part is the visual inspection. The #1 most important thing is that the car have the correct number, and configuration, of catalytic converters. I've never had any complaints about aftermarket turbos, superchargers, downpipes, BOV's, etc. I do know that they work to get tougher on inspections every year and the goalpost is constantly moving.

All that said, I don't think this valve would be an issue for emissions, but maybe just maybe since they are getting crazy. Let me know what you decide to do, Shadofax... I'm undecided at this point and concerned, since under warranty, if dealer would give me any grief if anything came up related to the engine or turbo down the road... Yeah, I know it adds safety, but hate to give a dealership ammo to deny a claim.

- 16 AMG GLA45, optioned to the gills
- 12 Wrangler, 37's, mountain climber convertible
- 07 Shelby GT3249 of 5763, 530whp, [email protected] , 7521' DA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I know they do visual inspection here, but from what I have observed this seems to be what happens:

1) newer vehicle gets "plugged in" period. It scans whatever info. including codes and I think you are mostly done.
2) gas cap has to fit properly,

3) older vehicles I have seen them check under hood, and mirror on stick kinda setup, check under vehicle. Believe this to be a very basic check of smog devices such as cats as well as overall exhaust system.

They are in no way capable of noticing the difference in turbo and a blow off, though they could understand if they see anything aftermarket that stands out to them.....i.e. maybe headers, other exhaust modifications?

In any case, someone with newer can likely validate the recirculating type of blow off valve we both believe MB uses on newer models. In this case the only reason you'd likely also move this and leave it plugged in and add another is for better valve quality and air venting "cool" noise, hopefully not a whistle?
It does not whistle. It’s like a moderate sound of air whoosh. I don’t want to make your mind up for you and have you dinged at emissions but I just can’t imagine it being an issue. Let me know what you decide, I am certain you will be happy if you move forward.

Last edited by DasJuke; 07-23-2019 at 12:24 AM.
post #73 of 75 Old 07-23-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post
Quote:
I know they do visual inspection here
Yes, in Colorado I've gone through **** with emissions on my Shelby and the built Subaru I had before that. I've failed 3 times for every time I've passed on those cars but they are both heavily modified, fully custom tunes, etc. Anyhow, yes, it must pass the OBD test and the gas cap test. Those parts are easy. From there it has to pass the sniffer - the exhaust gas analysis. Just 3 gasses, can't recall exactly what, but power-adders and custom tunes can create some problems here. The last part is the visual inspection. The #1 most important thing is that the car have the correct number, and configuration, of catalytic converters. I've never had any complaints about aftermarket turbos, superchargers, downpipes, BOV's, etc. I do know that they work to get tougher on inspections every year and the goalpost is constantly moving.

All that said, I don't think this valve would be an issue for emissions, but maybe just maybe since they are getting crazy. Let me know what you decide to do, Shadofax... I'm undecided at this point and concerned, since under warranty, if dealer would give me any grief if anything came up related to the engine or turbo down the road... Yeah, I know it adds safety, but hate to give a dealership ammo to deny a claim.
Mercedes of Farmington let me know that if my car was still under factory warranty that they would cover my car with the same warranty standards for the weistec tune and ASV
RevItUp likes this.

post #74 of 75 Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 24k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post

I am going to buy the Weistec, not immediately, I'm about to make a last payment and want to get that done mid. Aug. I had put down like $30k when my car came off emissions, so between taxes, etc. I had about $9k to pay from last year. From the feedback, I can't see this as being flagged, so I should be fine. The sniffer test won't pick up anything since there should be no change in what it is emitting. It is either within spec or it's not. No other way for them to know of this venting and it won't even be engaging the blow off I'd think for the actual test. My car won't ever see cat, downpipe, tune, I don't think. I just want to also buy the AMS air filter/intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasJuke View Post
Mercedes of Farmington let me know that if my car was still under factory warranty that they would cover my car with the same warranty standards for the weistec tune and ASV

That's pretty cool, course I am out of warranty at this point, past the 4 yrs.

heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend, to move to GLA 45.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2019 Volvo XC40 Rtype.
post #75 of 75 Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 AM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe the reason I didn't buy one before is I see Weistec is saying this valve is not legal for use on pollution controlled vehicles. I'll be having to pass emissions here in colorado I think in 2 more yrs, but it does say it will not throw a check engine light.

Just for my understanding, so this valve allows compressed air to be vented instead of somehow flowing back into the compressor housing? And this compressed air would be from the turbo, from spent exhaust gases?

So then the question is, with the newer models and Mercedes having a version of this valve, is the stock MB valve somehow plumbed back into the exhaust to basically be recycled into the system vs. simple venting?
I have Weistecs BOV and their air filter. Happy with both.

Weistec puts that disclaimer on ALL their stuff. It doesn't necessarily mean the part will cause problems, or is actually illegal in your state.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page