LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New GLA45 owner in Minnesota

Hi All, I've recently (March of 2019) brought home a *new* 2018 GLA45 in Cosmos Black. It was still on the showroom floor with zero test drives on it! Found it at a smaller dealership in a city with a lot of big-shot doctors who apparently only buy the larger vehicles. So this little gem sat for over a year on the AMG display pad inside the showroom. They were kind enough to clean all the drool off the windows for me.

I had intended on ordering one built to spec in a few months from now (after a bit more research of the options), but the discounted price on this older model was too good to pass up. It has quite a few nice upgrades from the base GLA45, but I ended up paying very close to the base price. I felt like that was a good enough reason to jump in ahead of schedule.

I've only got about 1500 miles on it so far, so it's barely even broken in. I have a racing history, so I appreciate the importance of breaking in a new high-performance motor properly and I made sure to do it as best I could. I work from home so getting those miles on it was dragging on forever. I finally decided to go on a 700 mile road trip (to Canada and back) just to get it going! I took all small roads with plenty of stops and turns to be sure not to have the engine stuck at any particular rpm for too long. I drove until the tank was empty, filled it up, and turned around and went home.

I fully intend to get this car on the track and see what it's capable of. My previous car was a Subaru WRX STI and I got pretty comfortable with it on the track. Changing platforms will have a learning curve for sure, especially the gearbox. I know I'll miss the hand brake as well. Time to learn the Scandinavian Flick I guess!

I've already bought some nice light 18" rims for the winter tires. Just waiting for the fresh rubber to be available in the Fall. Might need to get a second set of extra rims for the track rubber as well, since the 20" wheels do not appear to have many good options? I very much prefer something below 200 on the treadwear rating.

So far the car has been pretty fun. The brakes are amazing! The seat doesn't fit me well though. I'm 5' 10" and 155 pounds and I don't touch either side of the seat until I start rolling around during cornering. It came with the standard AMG seats, so I'm looking into upgrading to the Recaro seats, or maybe seeing if a good custom upholstery shop can modify the existing seats a little to tighten them up a little. Haven't gotten anywhere on that yet, but really want to keep everything factory-functional (airbags, adjustments, etc.). If anyone knows the part number for the complete Recaro seat package, that would be awesome! The first trip to the local dealer wasn't very productive. Or if anyone has a set of seat for sale, that would be even better!

I look forward to learning more, and also contributing to this GLA community. I've been lurking for a few months, and finally signed up to join the fun!
CEETEE likes this.

To hesitate is a waste of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Welcome. Look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Upholstery mods are generally better (more custom) than seat replacement ...

Pictures or it never happened!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
...Pictures or it never happened!!!
Agreed!

To hesitate is a waste of time.