LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I've heard a few stories of water pumps spontaneously locking up creating overheating and a need to flat bed the car to the dealer.

I know of two cases of fuel odor in the cabin. The first case is unknown as for a fix or not. The second apparently was due to a fuel pressure sensor.

The dealer stated neither of these issues were on MB's radar.
Ahh.. Got ya thanks. Dont forget the few cases of the car suddenly going blank/turn off while driving, havent read those incidents on sites for a while now. (i think in one of the cases, the dealer said the ECU had a bad connection/bent pin or bad ecu, possibly from someone removing and incorrectly reinstalling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-type View Post
Dont forget the few cases of the car suddenly going blank/turn off while driving, havent read those incidents on sites for a while now.
Happened to me two years ago at freeway speed, middle lane in traffic, just after dealer service. As fast as all went dead, it came back, perhaps three seconds max, though it seemed like a lifetime when it occurred. Was not the least bit surprised when dealer service said "cannot duplicate, no record of fault."
Medtech likes this.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #13 of 18 Old 10-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG (see garage)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarringer View Post
Yes even if it is out of warranty. I also have a 2007 SLK and they did a service campaign about 2 years ago and it was out of warranty more than 4 years.
That's good, thanks.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtech View Post
I saw another thread that mentioned software updates for the 45. Thank you to the poster for that b/c I went to the dealer for an open service recall and told them I didn't like the transmission and that it was not responding correctly.

And, in fact there is a software update. And it made quite a difference. Pedal response is instantly better, and sport mode hangs into higher revs (previously was shifting @ 3-4k range).

At the end of the day I believe that mechanically this double clutch is perfectly capable. I have no idea why AMG would let the car out without better software development for it. Porsche has this down to a science.

I still love the car though!
Do you happen to have a copy of the work order so we can see what version updates you got? Thanks!
post #15 of 18 Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
I've heard a few stories of water pumps spontaneously locking up creating overheating and a need to flat bed the car to the dealer.

I know of two cases of fuel odor in the cabin. The first case is unknown as for a fix or not. The second apparently was due to a fuel pressure sensor.

The dealer stated neither of these issues were on MB's radar.
Isn't it somewhat interesting that, after my adventure involving the car rolling down the driveway into a tree, my water pump froze, and while they were replacing the water pump, they said they smelled fuel, and said they had to replace the 'high pressure fuel pump.' (they probably meant high pressure fuel sensor) They did not leave the engine compartment very neat. There were paw prints and anti freeze everywhere. I did not smell fuel in the cabin.

2015 GLA250 Polar Silver Black MB Tex FWD
H19 Poplar Trim 234 Blind Spot Assist
413 Panorama Sunroof 508 Becker Map Pilot
889 Keyless Go 00A Illuminated Star
068 Wheel locking bolts P01 Premium Package (Sirius, Media Interface, Heated front seats, HK Logic 7, Garage, Compass, Auto dim, 2 zone Climate
post #16 of 18 Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooJC View Post
Do you happen to have a copy of the work order so we can see what version updates you got? Thanks!
Yes I do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5421.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	23690  
post #17 of 18 Old 10-15-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarringer View Post
There is a good reason for having the dealer to do a service once a year as when the software is improved at the service they will do the updates as part of the service at no charge..
Agreed. But I'm not sure that this is an official "campaign" and therefore they won't do it unless asked. I went to a major service center here and either they put a cherry tech on the job, or the update wasn't so easy, as they had to keep the car a second day to complete it.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-15-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Agree on the Porsche PDK but even they had multiple software versions. Unfortunately the newer versions soften the shift in the goal of converting a sports car into a GT. It's all good but I've opted to not upgrade!!! The upgrade is not reversible. It depends on what you want.

As for the 45, a combination of small displacement coupled with major boost can't help but cause the engineers grief trying to achieve smooth take offs.
First off let me thank you for posting the hint that there might be an update available. Yes, I'm sure they had a **** of a time, but it's AMG and I expect a Porsche like effort at least. In 2016 they definitely got it down better then at release. But hey, that's to be expected with a Beta version. I can say it's definitely smoother all around with the update, and when you WOT the upshifts make a lot more sense.

ps. I installed a fart valve...and I love it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page