First A service - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First A service

I recently was up for my first A service on my 45. I had to argue with the service advisor to change the air filter and rear axle fluid as the maintenance schedule indicated. Actually had to call MB USA to get them to do it. Anyone else have this problem? We’re these items done on your first A service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Did you purchase a service package when you bought the 45 or was this a non=service package pay as you go.

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black
post #3 of 13 Old 10-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0gla45 View Post
I recently was up for my first A service on my 45. I had to argue with the service advisor to change the air filter and rear axle fluid as the maintenance schedule indicated. Actually had to call MB USA to get them to do it. Anyone else have this problem? We’re these items done on your first A service?

Same here, basically my 45 got a service A for a 250. I showed them the booklet that states new engine air filter and rear fluids.

My service adviser was pretty ok with it (although i had to go back to get the rest of it done), says bring the book in at services visits so that they can do it correctly.

FYI
engine air filter every year
transmission fluids is at 20k or 2yr
Spark plugs much earlier than 250s

post #4 of 13 Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarringer View Post
Did you purchase a service package when you bought the 45 or was this a non=service package pay as you go.

No it was pay as you go. Which I was like why wouldn’t they know this so they could charge for it. In the end I got the two items for free. But can you see them not honoring a warranty claim because the proper service wasn’t done. The consumer shouldn’t have to tell them what’s required.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
My 2017 GLA45 book calls for transmission oil every 30K miles or 3 years. Spark plugs are 40K miles or 4 years. Fuel filter and coolant are every 12 years or 120 K miles.

I have a notation in my history book that the transmission is dealer only as it requires the STAR computer for proper refill. There are little details involved in the oil change. I'll admit ... I'm going to be most uncomfortable handing the car to the Service Department when that time arrives.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
What dealer? I just had my A service done on my 45 at MB of Westminster last month. I didn't think to check to make sure everything got done. They did call me at one point and ask for okay to so the differential service and of course I okay'd it. I don't know why they even called if it's part of service A. (This would be the same as "rear axle fluid" that you are referring to, right?) I'm looking over the invoice now and I don't see an air filter part number at all. Hmm..

- 16 AMG GLA45, optioned to the gills
- 12 Wrangler, 37's, mountain climber convertible
- 07 Shelby GT3249 of 5763, 530whp, [email protected] , 7521' DA
post #7 of 13 Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post
What dealer? I just had my A service done on my 45 at MB of Westminster last month. I didn't think to check to make sure everything got done. They did call me at one point and ask for okay to so the differential service and of course I okay'd it. I don't know why they even called if it's part of service A. (This would be the same as "rear axle fluid" that you are referring to, right?) I'm looking over the invoice now and I don't see an air filter part number at all. Hmm..
It was Littleton. Diff and rear axle are the same thing so Westminster got that part right. I’m assuming but I think they want the air filter changed as you are most likely brining in more air with the 45 and they want to keep it clean.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-03-2017, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

I just finished the service A and it happened to me too.
The rear diff oil change somehow not showing in their system (for service A 10K).
post #9 of 13 Old 08-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 24k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
It was Littleton. Diff and rear axle are the same thing so Westminster got that part right. I’m assuming but I think they want the air filter changed as you are most likely brining in more air with the 45 and they want to keep it clean.

Mine is scheduled to go to the Westminster shop next Thurs. I drove it down there last week and they pulled history from my VIN. Since my vehicle was off a lease/used, I only had the carfax that showed the MB dealer that serviced the car, and two of the past entries only stated "regular recommended service". So this dealer could not confirm rear diff fluid had been done, even though it showed things like oil/filter, air filter, brake fluid flush/fill.

I will tell you though, the advisers are lacking in mechanical knowledge. I got to speak directly with a master tech about changing the front 4 matic tranny fluid and that change also servicing front axle diff/ring gear (it's the largest gear at the back of the tranny, inside the tranny, right near where the PTO is for rear driveshaft). In any case, I'll be doing rear diff fluid and tranny/front axle fluid/filter just before 20k just to be safe. The tech also stated absolutely do not let the air filter go more than annual (10k average mileage), he confirmed same thing, the air pull is tremendous due to 26psi if you really get on the car, he likened it to a HP Vacuum and it fills up very quickly, says MB has pointed to this with engine problems folks have wanted warrantied.

heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend, to move to GLA 45.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2019 Volvo XC40 Rtype.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-24-2018, 03:31 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 24k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
So I have the vehicle back with rear diff and full tranny service complete, here is the cost and part numbers, this was done just shy of 20k (about 3.5 yrs) at my request.

Rear diff: $165.60
includes a seal ring, screw plug and 3 Transmission Oil 001-989-52-03-10.

Tranny: $483.50
includes Flange Gasket 246-371-07-80, Oil Filter 246-377-24-00, and Oil Filter Element 246-377-23-00, sealant, general ring, lock pin, and 6 Gear Oil 001-989-85-03-09

I plan to do the tranny every 4yr, which would be about 16k, and rear diff every 2 yr (every other engine oil/filter change).

heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend, to move to GLA 45.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2019 Volvo XC40 Rtype.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page