1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Water pump failure

My GLA 250 4-matic suddenly overheated- warning light came on saying "engine coolant temperature dangerously high". Car was towed to dealer. After 5 days I was told the water pump was the culprit and needed to be replaced. The car has 6500 miles on it. They replaced the water pump but told me the malfunctioning one visually looked fine. Nothing broken, no worn bearings, no obvious leak. I heard nothing in the engine prior to the overheating and did not notice any leakage of fluid in the driveway. Obviously I am not happy about this- engine failure at 6500 miles with no good explanation does not bide well. Apparently they have seen this issue in 3 CLAs- one at 30k, one at 15k, and one at 5 k miles. The dealer never got feedback from Mercedes as to what the issue was with the failed water pumps. How do I know this won't happen again? I don't feel comfortable driving this car far from home as I still don't know what the problem was. Anyone heard of this issue in GLAs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You may have experienced the first water pump failure on this forum because I couldn't find any mention of the GLA's water pump breaking down here.
Maybe ask your dealer to follow up with Mercedes about the pump.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes I asked the dealer to get follow up from Mercedes, but they said this may take a few weeks. The mechanic at the dealer said the water pump from the CLA/GLA was a new design- much smaller than previous water pumps. I suspect some sort of design flaw that led to failure.

post #4 of 21 Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
New designs usually have issues crop up here and there but let's hope that yours was just a random faulty one and that this won't become a common occurrence.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I took my GLA250 for a thousand mile drive through the Mojave desert of California (107F) up through the high Sierra (8,000 ft), back down through the central valley (sea level, 106F) then down the coast of California back to San Diego, with 4 adults and a week's worth of luggage this past summer with no issues whatsoever. Sorry for your failure, but hopefully this was an isolated failure.
WhiteRabbit likes this.

cirrus white, tan MB tex, P1, multi-media, panoramic sunroof, illuminated star, bi-xenon, blind spot
post #6 of 21 Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just had this happen to me. Car was being hesitant to shift out of 3rd, then 4th, and about 90 seconds later coolant meter went all the way to the red and got the "coolant too hot, pull over and shut car off" or something like that on the dash. Roadside assistance towed it to Mercedes Westwood and I ditched the car and took an uber home. Waiting to hear from the dealer. Such a pain in the a$$. I love the car but I've been in/out of the dealership about once a mth for the past 6mths. O2 sensor, pebble stuck behind the heat shield, 2 nails in the runflats, "special" coolant top off...it drives me nuts.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipinski3 View Post
Just had this happen to me. Car was being hesitant to shift out of 3rd, then 4th, and about 90 seconds later coolant meter went all the way to the red and got the "coolant too hot, pull over and shut car off" or something like that on the dash. Roadside assistance towed it to Mercedes Westwood and I ditched the car and took an uber home. Waiting to hear from the dealer. Such a pain in the a$$. I love the car but I've been in/out of the dealership about once a mth for the past 6mths. O2 sensor, pebble stuck behind the heat shield, 2 nails in the runflats, "special" coolant top off...it drives me nuts.
That's pretty alarming. Can you share a bit more information...do you have a GLA45 or 250? AWD? Curious if you picked up any worthwhile information during the service process that the rest of us could benefit from. Thanks!

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #8 of 21 Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I wonder if it's an actual water pump problem or an electronic "ghost". The reason I propose that is an odd gauge malfunction I experienced. Two months after I took delivery of my GLA250, the fuel gauge dropped to zero when I knew it was 3/4 full and fuel range showed zero. A few hours later the reading returned to normal and it has not repeated the problem.

I noted at the top of this chain that the dealership replaced ddcasey's water pump, but could find nothing physically wrong with it. What if the water pump is working fine physically, but the temperature data is either misread or misinterpreted? I would think that the dealer's diagnostic would look for that, but who knows?

'15 GLA250 4Matic, white, sport package, xenons, panoramic sun roof, walnut dash, beige MB tex with heat, premium package, rear camera
'13 GLK350 4Matic (wife's),
'01 Porsche Boxster S,
1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan. Frame off restoration - all work done by me.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 250
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster986S View Post
I wonder if it's an actual water pump problem or an electronic "ghost". The reason I propose that is an odd gauge malfunction I experienced. Two months after I took delivery of my GLA250, the fuel gauge dropped to zero when I knew it was 3/4 full and fuel range showed zero. A few hours later the reading returned to normal and it has not repeated the problem.
Funny you should mention that - right after I was reading this thread last night on my way back from work I noticed that my temp gauge was flucuating a lot going down from 90 C to 70C and back again to 100 C and then down again to 90 C (where it's normally at when stable). All of this during a 20 mile highway commute at a temperature of 48F and speed of 72 mph with 2000 rpm on ECO mode. Pics attached. Today much colder but gauge is stable at 90 C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb1-gauge.png
Views:	1179
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	8370   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb2-gauge.png
Views:	1095
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	8378  
post #10 of 21 Old 02-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 250
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Been looking online to see if anyone else has experienced this and there have been reports of faulty thermostats. Today my dealer said that the 20 degree fluctuation is normal. Kind of sceptical about that though. My impression is that the gauge should always register 90 degrees and shouldn't vary regardless of outside temp or speed and cold air intake.

User Tag List