Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

Stainless steel AMG door pins

37K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Richard Carlson 
#1 ·
I decided that I wanted to upgrade my door pins to stainless steel door pins. As such I bought a set of CLA stainless steel AMG door pins off of Amazon and set out to replace them.

Note, CLA and GLA do NOThave the same door pin setup. The front is the same but the rear are not. I believe the rear are like the C-Class door pins.

I replaced the front very easily by unscrewing them with some pliers and a rag. The rear, however, would not unscrew. I am pretty sure I need to pop the door panel to replace these and will need to buy some C-Class rear door pins. I'll update this thread when I buy those and give it a try.

That said if anyone wants my extra two stainless door pins they should work perfect for your front pins. :) $20 to the first person to PM me. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The tapered ones I show in the original post fit on the front of the GLA fine. I haven't popped the door panels in the back but suspect that they will match the C-Class short rear door pin style. I ordered a set of these short, non-tapered ones off of eBay so once they come in I'll give them a test and update the thread.

#6 ·
The part nr of the ones for GLA according to the official mercedes accessories catalogue is A000 766 0228 , which is the same as the one for CLA.

#8 ·
I don't think I can grab them where I have their height set to now. I still have the rag and pliers in the car so I can unscrew them a bit and see if it that is something that can be done. That said, the pins I installed do not have any ridges or indentations. They are completely smooth so, I would guess, it might still be pretty hard to get a good grip on them when in the lowered state. I'll update this thread a bit later once I have a chance to test that out.

#10 ·
CLA tapered door pins DO fit the rear of the GLA

First off apologies for any confusion.

I spent some time this morning and took off my door panels to see why the door pin was not coming off. During that process I was able to confirm that the tapered large door pins DO fit properly.

As you can see from the images, the engineer just decided to have some fun and applied so much glue to the pin that it took me over 5 minutes of pulling on the pin with a wrench before it would come off.

Once it was off I was able to simply screw on me other two tapered pins which fit perfectly.

For those that want/need to take off the door panel, it is really easy and takes about 5 min. You need to first remove the aluminum trim with a flathead screwdriver or plastic prybar. Once that is off you'll need a Torx T30 driver to remove the two screws. Once those are off use the screwdriver/prybar to go around the door to pop the orange door plugs Once you can get your fingers in there you can just pull next to the plug and it will pop out. Once done you can lift the door off but it will still be connected by two wires. BE CAREFUL with the wires so they do not come undone. You can then access the door pin easily by hanging the door panel by the wires (CAREFULLY :)). Once done reverse the steps and push in the orange plugs. Done.

Attachments

#13 ·
Just to be 100% sure. The same door pins you have the front will work for the rear. So if you have four pins in total you should have a full set for front and rear.

My original post was based on the fact that I could not get the rear pin off. Even after taking the door panel off it took me 5 minutes of absolute wrenching on the door pin to get it off. The engineer just put WAY too much glue on it. The end result was that the front and rear door pins are exactly the same and are interchangeable. No need to buy the snap-on style rear door pins. Those will not work on the GLA.

#19 ·
Sorry. I missed your other question.

You should not need to remove the door panel. All you should need to do is use a wrench and a towel and unscrew the door pins. You can then screw on the new AMG pins. Literally if all goes well this should take no more than about 5-10 min for all 4 doors.

#18 ·
Those pins look like the snap-on type. The door mechanism in my GLA was threaded on all four doors. In one of pics I posted you can see the metal threaded post with all the glue on it.

From what I have read about other vehicles with the "snap-on" style, they use a different post style with a clip.

Unfortunately, I do not think that the pins in your link will work on the GLA. Note, you can test this out pretty easily by using a wrench and a towel to unscrew the door pin and then see if your pin will screw on. That said, the pins I had were longer and were pretty close to flush on the surface of the door panel when locked. I'm not sure if you could have shorter pins without them sinking into the door panel. Just guessing though.

#17 ·
#22 ·
Are these Mercedes oem door pins or aftermarket... any link on ebay if you got them there... nice write up and pic's Humblepie

#26 ·
ordered a set of 4 CLA from Hong Kong been told they are very similar or identical to the oem ones... cost $52 which is £36 for us in the UK...

#27 ·

Attachments

#28 ·
Have the same and probably the best value for money mod ever! They look soooo much nicer than the cheap OEM ones!!

#33 ·
Same here. I was able to remove all 4. I've ordered a set of 4 OEM AMG pins, should arrive next week. :D

#34 ·
I installed the OEM door pins, and I recommend using plastic jaw needle nose pliers, not only to remove the existing pins (wrapped with a towel) but to tighten and align the new metal pins. The plastic jaws don't mar the metal, but grip firmly enough to adjust the logo alignment exactly to your liking.

#35 ·
This is definitely one of those things came stock, those cheap plastic pins that sticks out are so ugly and shameful.

So I had to switch them up too!

#36 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of the plastic jaw pliers I used to rotate the pins into place. The groove in each jaw gives a good grip on the pin, especially for the fine tuning of the alignment. I'm very happy with the stainless steel pins. The plastic ones were so tall that my shirt sleeve would snag on them when I would reach out to the card reader at the parking garage I use at work. Now, no problem!

#37 ·
I just hand tighten the pins and align the AMG logo with just enough pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.