LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 01-25-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: '15 GLA250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Under-seat storage bins

So I took a bit of a gamble and decided to buy CLA under-seat storage bins because the seats appeared to be identical to what I had. I bought a couple OEM seat storage bins off eBay and decided to give it a shot.

Here's the result:
In short, they fit exactly like you would expect. The first seat took me about 30-40 min to install but the second one took me only 15 min. There are a number of things that are a bit confusing on the install but make perfect sense once you have done it once. I tried to take some pictures to help illustrate the install and would be happy to answer anyone's questions if they attempt this DIY project.

Here's what you will need:
Quantity 2: 246 910 17 01 9H68 Storage Box (9H68 is the code for black. Sorry not sure what the other color codes are)
Quantity 2: 246 860 06 14 Retaining Rail/Bracket
Quantity 2: 0009903111 Torx screws (4-screws for each bracket + 2-screws to mount each storage bin to the bracket)

Note I bought 2 under seat storage bins and each came with all the appropriate hardware.

Tools:
E12 Female Torx Socket or 10mm socket
T25 Torx for the screws
Beer

Unfortunately, this Forum is very difficult to give images and associated text so I'll outline the steps and you can reference the attached images.

1) Move the front seat in question all the way back
2) Remove the plastic covers by gently pulling the longer side of the plastic cover outward and then slide it off. There is a plastic clip on the long-side of the cover that needs to be unhitched before sliding it off.
3) Use the E12 female Torx socket to remove the front seat bolts all the way
4) Move the seat all the way forward
5) Unscrew the rear female Torx screws about 75% of the way (but not off). This will allow you to tilt the seat backward without taking the seat all the way off.
6) Move the seat all the way back and tilt the seat upward.
7) Position the bracket such that the tab fits in the slot under the seat (left-most red circle in the images below). This will also align the screw holes.
8) Use the T25 Torx driver to screw in the bracket. Once you do the top the back of the bracket will align with the remaining two holes. You'll have to contort your body to get the back two and if you have a magnetic Torx driver or a socket-style driver you will save yourself some serious cussing and headache.
9) This step is the one that took me the absolute longest so hopefully this info will help to save you some time. The bracket and storage bin look like they should align straight on but they don't. Depending on which side of the car you are on the storage bin aligns a bit to the left or the right of the bracket. Just test fit it and you will see that it aligns better depending on the side you are on. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures so please ask questions if you have them. Once aligned, you'll need to press on the seat and the storage bin to try and "snap" it in even though it is not a defined "snap". It need to be aligned and then press-fitted such that the screws can be screwed in from the underside. This was the longest process for the entire install for me as the bins don't "click" into place and I needed to hold the bin while trying to get the screw started while contorted at some odd angle.
10) Once screwed in, check the function of the storage bin.
11) If all is well, lower the seat and screw in the front female Torx screws and replace the plastic covers.
12) Move the seat all the way forward and screw in the rear screws
13) re-test the storage bin for fit and finish.
14) Done. Go get a couple beers. You earned it.

Seriously, if I had to do this again I could probably do the install in about 10 minutes. The hardest part for me was to try and figure out how the dang bracket and bin fit together. It just did not fit together like I would have expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608_800x600.jpg
Views:	2083
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609_800x600.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0610_800x600.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0600_800x600.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602_800x600.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1002  

Name:	IMG_0603_800x600.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605_800x600.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606_800x600.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607_800x600.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	1034  
hawkgt12, 23481, Rothbury and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SPORT, PREMIUM, MULTIMEDIA, PANORAMA, BI-XENON

SOLD:
'99 ML320 | '01 C320 SPORT | '02 ML320 | '05 E500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumblePie View Post
So I took a bit of a gamble and decided to buy CLA under-seat storage bins because the seats appeared to be identical to what I had. I bought a couple OEM seat storage bins off eBay and decided to give it a shot.
This is a FANTASTIC write-up! Thank you for sharing. As soon as I saw these in the manual I have been wanting to see if they are worth it or not.

Can I ask what your total cost was for the pair?

Can you also post a picture of how much storage these offer? I was thinking a pair of gloves, maybe a hat and sunglasses.

I'll do some digging and try to track down the other color codes for everyone.
post #3 of 52 Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks much!

No problem. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I think each was just under $100. The storage is completely minimal but, for me, every little bit helps. I store my glasses in the one on the driver's side and will likely store some gloves or my dog's leash in the other. You definitely can't fit too much in there but it's nice to have a bit more storage up front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD:

post #4 of 52 Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I had a chance to take a couple pics of the storage bins. The storage really is quite minimal but it really is working out well for me with my glasses in one and a dog leash in the other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0629_800x600.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630_800x600.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1249  
AMGz likes this.

SOLD:
post #5 of 52 Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Thanks again for posting these!

I'll definitely grab the other color codes when I order my Ash versions.
post #6 of 52 Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Nice work and thanks for the write-up.

Does this work on the recaro seats by any chance?

. . .

GLA 45 AMG

-Black Leather-AMG Performance Exhaust-AMG Performance Seats (Recaro)-Panorama Sunroof-AMG Illuminated Door Sills-Premium Package-Multimedia Package-Blind Spot Assist-Tinted-Debadged-
post #7 of 52 Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumblePie View Post
I had a chance to take a couple pics of the storage bins. The storage really is quite minimal but it really is working out well for me with my glasses in one and a dog leash in the other.
That's actually some really good space for even a binder to sit in and just about anything that big and common for someone carry around

real estate agents will love it

post #8 of 52 Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I recently placed an order for a pair of bins via eBay (Keenan Motors), but they refunded my payment with the reason that the bins in gray were out of stock and they checked with M-B and none were available anywhere in the U.S.

Yet, they still list the Grey bins on eBay tonight!!???

Does anyone know of another U.S. source for the bins in gray(ash)?

I may have to go with black bins if I can't find them in ash.

2015 GLA45 AMG
Universe Blue/Ash Leather/Burl Walnut Trim/19-Inch AMG Wheels
U70 Red Brake Calipers
235 PARKTRONIC with Park Assist
281 AMG Performance Steering Wheel
889 KEYLESS-GO
P01 Premium Package
318 Interior Package
320 Multimedia Package
997 Driver Assistance Package

post #9 of 52 Old 07-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks again to HumblePie for the detailed instructions! Since Keenan Motors ebay store was out of the gray bins, I got a pair of black ones. I actually think these go better with the gray leather seats, as my carpet is black, so the bins disappear into the background against the black carpet. Much of the original look of the interior is preserved.

So a few weeks ago, I made my first attempt at installation. The bracket installation went relatively smoothly. However, the bins were a real pain! I got the passenger side to fit snugly against the seat cushion, but I could not get the driver's side bin to fit the same. There was a big gap between the top of the bin and the seat cushion. I had spent hours by that time and had no energy left to do any more. Yesterday, I removed everything to see and to try to figure out why I couldn't get the holes on the bin frame to align with the brackets. Late last night, I concluded that the only way to get it to work was to enlarge the mounting holes on the bin frame so I could at least line up larger, drilled out frame holes eccentrically with the bracket holes. So to work first thing this morning, using progressively larger bits with my power drill, I enlarged the holes on the bin frame. After reinstalling the brackets, it still was a struggle to get the bins to "snap" in place and the screws started. But I finally managed to get both bins installed snugly against the seat cushions. The screws had to go in at an angle to the frame surface, but the metal screws managed to engage the bracket screw holes and I was able to tighten them securely. It really helped to get a 1/4" drive socket wrench and T25 socket bit to supplement my torx screwdriver.

2015 GLA45 AMG
Universe Blue/Ash Leather/Burl Walnut Trim/19-Inch AMG Wheels
U70 Red Brake Calipers
235 PARKTRONIC with Park Assist
281 AMG Performance Steering Wheel
889 KEYLESS-GO
P01 Premium Package
318 Interior Package
320 Multimedia Package
997 Driver Assistance Package

post #10 of 52 Old 09-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I finally got around to ordering the bins and get them installed. The write up Humble Pie provided was a great help. I'd have really struggled to do the install without it. Even though the storage is minimal, I like the way they look and cover up the exposed wire connections under the front seats.

A few comments:
1. My bins did not come with screws. I'd ordered two 0009903111 per the write up, so ended up 10 screws short. Rather than order more, I used #10 self tapping screws from the local hardware, which are virtually the same diameter as the 5mm MB screws. The #10 screws worked out fine and hold the bins in place securely.
2. I found it easier to go ahead and remove all four bolts that retain the seat to the floor. That allowed me to tip the seat back further and endure less physical contortion installing the parts.
3. Best on-line deal I found was from www.oediscountparts.com Cost $168 total for both sides with free shipping. They are an MB dealership in Asheville, NC
23481 likes this.

'15 GLA250 4Matic, white, sport package, xenons, panoramic sun roof, walnut dash, beige MB tex with heat, premium package, rear camera
'13 GLK350 4Matic (wife's),
'01 Porsche Boxster S,
1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan. Frame off restoration - all work done by me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page