Wind Noise? - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-15-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wind Noise?

Does anyone have suggestions on curing wind noise (2017 GLA 250) at highway speed?
I've tried using foam tape to block most of the areas around the door, but I'm still getting some noise.
The worst seems to come from behind my ear on the drivers side. I'm guessing it's the front and rear door seals.
I've seen lots of mention of noise in the various Mercedes board, but don't see many recommendations to remediate (and MB seems to think this noise is "normal")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Welcome to the GLA forum! The noise is normal...for a GLA. It's a long standing irritant from the first buyers of model year 2015 production. My sense was it had been mitigated somewhat in the 2016 models (and probably subsequent years), but it remains an issue unlike what I'd been used to in MB sedans prior to purchasing my GLA. After four years of ownership, I'm kinda used to it, but from time to time it does cause some frustration. Fortunately, the GLA makes up for it with many more positive attributes.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 4 Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Its normal. For all cars. You got an entry level car, not an E-class. You’re going about it the wrong way. You can improve it, but its not easy or cheap. Start here:

Www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Focus on barriers (mass loaded vinyl). Note for results, barriers need to be 100% coverage. If you miss a spot, the noise penetrates. If you don’t treat every surface, the noise comes in at that spot.

This treatment is always the most expensive and difficult of all the acoustic treatments. If you don’t care to do the work yourself, you can contact Don and ask for a vendor of his products close to you and have them treat as much as you’re willing to treat.

Most other shops will just slap on a bunch of damper tiles and send you on your way which won’t give you what you want. The SDS site will explain why.

My only other suggestion is to replace your tires with the quietest tires you can find. I suspect what you imagine as wind noise may be tire noise, and quiet tires can help A LOT.

Good luck!

post #4 of 4 Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I should note for clarity, cabin environment comfort, including noise, seems to be one of the areas MB chose for cost reduction to enable the value pricing they offer for the GLA.

The 45 is worse. They went minimal on the spare tire well. Thats OK for folks who want to hear loud exhaust drone in the car, but for those of us who wanted a sleepy little rabid go-kart, the loud exhaust gives away what the AMG team really did with the car.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page