LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-02-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Smell gasoline when weather is too cold!

This is the third times it happens and tech could not find anything wrong with my car. My car is parked in closed garage, the weather is about 40 degree F outside. I can smell gasoline bad like someone spills gasoline in garage. It only happens during cold day. I pop the hood open and I can smell gasoline there but I could not find a leak. Is this could be a canister? Hope I remember it right, it is something to get gas evaporate. When it's cold, the evaporation expands and leaks out?

When I am driving I won't smell gas, only when it's parked and idle. This time, the engine is not even ON!

Anyone experiences this? I need some tips to tell the tech. No one could find out what is wrong, except me. Just like someone complaints about chest paint and his doctor could not find anything wrong with him till the date he drops dead and doctor would say "ha, it's sudden death syndrome due to heart failure''!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danh Tran View Post
This is the third times it happens and tech could not find anything wrong with my car. My car is parked in closed garage, the weather is about 40 degree F outside. I can smell gasoline bad like someone spills gasoline in garage. It only happens during cold day. I pop the hood open and I can smell gasoline there but I could not find a leak. Is this could be a canister? Hope I remember it right, it is something to get gas evaporate. When it's cold, the evaporation expands and leaks out?

When I am driving I won't smell gas, only when it's parked and idle. This time, the engine is not even ON!

Anyone experiences this? I need some tips to tell the tech. No one could find out what is wrong, except me. Just like someone complaints about chest paint and his doctor could not find anything wrong with him till the date he drops dead and doctor would say "ha, it's sudden death syndrome due to heart failure''!

Thanks.
Cars now days are on a closed system no more canisters to leak fumes into our air thanks to the government and AQMD, You need to take your car back to the dealer speak to the service manager and demand it be fixed before it catches fire. Unfortunately you have a lot of newbe techs and even good techs but if they can't find the problem right away they do a NPF and send it away. NPF stands for no problem found and happens way more often then it should in the dealerships. remember techs get paid by the job flagging hours is how they feed their families but doing their job correctly should be key and that's why there's a service manager to keep them in check
post #3 of 3 Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
There have been other reports on gasoline smells with no definitive resolutions. If you type "gasoline smell" in our Search box (upper right on most browsers) you'll find various other posts. Here is one of the longer threads:

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/engi...ine-vapor.html

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights

User Tag List