GLA45 issue 4Matic unavailable - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GLA45 issue 4Matic unavailable

Basics: She is my daily driver. A 2015 AMG with 45k miles. had the car for 2 years. performed A service and routine oil changes. No previous issues. I always drive in manual (paddles) and with the TCS off.

Issue: Couple of weeks ago (before Xmas) I was driving home from work putt-putting along on the freeway in rush hour traffic- barely got above 30mph and about 40 minutes into my hour commute the engine went into neutral and the words "4matic unavailable" popped up on the instrument cluster. I put on my hazards and coasted to the shoulder. cycled through the transmission options, Comfort and Sport, then back to manual all would not engage out of neutral. Shut the car off, removed key and opened and closed drivers door to completely shut off all components. started back up and now noticed the check engine light was illuminated but no messages displayed. out it back in manual and drove about 20 feet on the shoulder. felt confident enough to merge back into traffic, put on my left blinker, saw an opening and gave it gas then BAM!, it slipped back into neutral and now displayed something along the lines of "Do not change gear, consult workshop". Coasted back over to shoulder and shut car off in neutral. did not want to disobey the instruction of changing gear to park. This time I left the car off while I perused Google hoping to find an explanation to this. Found a couple of mentions from some fellas across the pond in the UK that experienced these messages after performing Race Starts. Never heard of this but after looking into what that was, was not what I was doing but perhaps the car was undergoing a similar issue. One thread mentioned pressing OK on the steering wheel. Started the car back up and the error "4Matic unavailable" was there. pressed "ok" and it went away just as mentioned in the thread. This time I left it in Comfort mode and merged back into traffic and made it home.
Hooked up my OBD2 scanner and the code was P060A. Searched online and more race start threads popped up. I called the Dealer and made an appt. I cleared the code and test drove it up and down my block- no issues. With the holidays, today was the soonest they can get me in. The car is there now. I hope to document the process and the issues for others who may have the same issue now that these cars are getting up there with the miles. I will say that I did drive the car to work a few more times after clearing the code - but only in Comfort and had no issues. Will report back once they tell me what they find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 24k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
You've done rear diff and front tranny fluid filter/diff, right? This I believe would have been long due with your miles. I did mine a few months back at around 20k just to make sure I was treating these components right.

I rarely use manual, 7 spd it just a chore with daily driving, I like sport. I can't imagine people owning say a 9 spd with manual paddles, I'd think that would be useless except at the track.

heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend, to move to GLA 45.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2019 Volvo XC40 Rtype.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 CLA45 AMG !
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
You've done rear diff and front tranny fluid filter/diff, right? This I believe would have been long due with your miles. I did mine a few months back at around 20k just to make sure I was treating these components right.

I rarely use manual, 7 spd it just a chore with daily driving, I like sport. I can't imagine people owning say a 9 spd with manual paddles, I'd think that would be useless except at the track.
I am in manual all the time. In city i barley goes over the 5 gear.

In a 9 speed transmission, the 3-4 last gear or for highway.

Campagna T-Rex 14R 2011
Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page