8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
brake pads GLA45 amg

Has anyone changed their pads yet? im at 32500km, the squeaking is gettin a bit loud and apparently i dont have much pads left according to dealership. My indy told me to wait a bit as he sees i still got some left (he said system would prompt me before pads are out). Im hoping that someone can provide some alternatives to the OEM pads. looking for some pads that would last. im mostly daily drive with alot spirit

Feel free to share some links, open to discussion. Thanks!

2015 GLA 45 AMG
premium, premium+, amg exclusive package, amg driver's package, amg black 20" 10spoke wheels, H73 carbon fibre trim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
The sensors on my Porsche are sacrificial. If you wait for the sensor to indicate worn pads you must replace it as well as the pads (and rotors). I haven't had the GLA apart yet so I can't say.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Same type of sensor I expect, it's only a pair of wires that are embedded in the pad material and it's only in one of the four pads on the GLA

It works by the wires coming into contact with the metal disc and it completeing the electrical circuit. The wires are set in the material at the "service" point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Wear Sensor.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	14849  

Destroyer of world peace by AMG performance exhaust.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mercedes.AMG; 12-22-2016 at 03:03 AM.

post #4 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
At this time the only aftermarket brake pads I have found are available from Disc Italia. They have two different grades (street performance and track).

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA

Last edited by SSBGLA45; 12-22-2016 at 03:28 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Hyper Ceramic is another option, with perhaps longer wear and less dust. The details are in my GLA binder and that is at the dealer while they are straightening out the MSO and title. So, sorry, I haven't got more than the name.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
my rear was making some noise at 13k so dealer put new on and i hear the same at 23k, but not sure ifs it coming from the rear this time.

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE
post #7 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 05:32 PM

Looks like I repeated SSBGLA45. The pads I mentioned were Hyer Ceramic made by Disc Italia and available via Brake World.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Looks like I repeated SSBGLA45. The pads I mentioned were Hyer Ceramic made by Disc Italia and available via Brake World.
Ceramics would be wonderful, would love to get some feed back once people are starting to use them,
post #9 of 30 Old 12-23-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
whats better, metallic or ceramic... i live in toronto, right now about -10c ish on average.. sometimes with windchill feels like -20c
i did read about ceramic being weaker in the cold. no?

2015 GLA 45 AMG
premium, premium+, amg exclusive package, amg driver's package, amg black 20" 10spoke wheels, H73 carbon fibre trim
post #10 of 30 Old 12-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
A quick read on ceramic brake pads (copied from Disc Italia web site):

These brake-pads are generally quieter and lower dusting than most OEM pads and organic based brake pads. Many ceramic formulations offer extremely low dusting characteristics, preventing dust from accumulating on your wheels. Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. Instead of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers, the ceramic braking pads make use of the ceramic compounds and copper fibers. This allows the such pads to handle high brake temperatures with less fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the brake-pads and rotors. Moreover, the ceramic compounds in the ceramic brake pads make the braking much quieter. This happens as the ceramic compounds help dampen noise by generating a frequency that is beyond the human hearing range. Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance

Good question i did read about ceramic being weaker in the cold. no? I have sent an inquiry to Disc Italia requesting a response to this possible issue. Soon as I hear back will post update.
caug likes this.

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page