5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package vs. Ride Control vs. Nothing

Sorry this is some dupe/overlap to existing threads.

I'm looking at ordering a GLA45 to my specs. I am contemplating the following:

AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package

or just

AMG RIDE CONTROL Sport Suspension with 2-stage damping

or - stock suspension.

I am curious if aftermarket suspension options might be better. Also I am guessing a tune could elim or up the top speed limiter.

The only thing that looks like it would be tough to replace is

AMG Limited Slip Front Differential

And - Race mode

For a total of $2800 the package might be worth it? Does anyone have this? Care to share opinions on this option?

Aside: this is the base build I'm working off of, I want a 'driver's car' so decontenting all the cosmetic and electronic crap (OK yeah I got leather though) and opting for perf/mechanical options only.
Build Your 2017 AMG GLA45 SUV | Mercedes-Benz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
One of those things that you wouldn't be noticing that much of difference in real life driving.
However,... it is one of those things that you will end up regretting and kicking yourself later by not getting it.

I knew for sure that would be me, so I checked off all those options from the factory. (vs getting aftermarket parts)

Wayne is on the same boat, he was contemplating about getting the front LSD. He finally gave in after 2 weeks, I believe.

Last edited by garu; 08-29-2016 at 02:08 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks garu - leaning there as well.

Other big ticket option I don't need/won't use is Multi-media as I go to separate nav (Phone). Only thought there is resale value when the time comes . . . I think I'd rather save the $2300 and put it toward the $2800 dynamics package. Still have to add the phone connect stuff - $450.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Also getting that adjustable suspension is extra control knob on your car. It's just cool to be able to adjust your suspension setting by one flick of a switch.
I believe if you sign up for the dynamic plus package you also get additional R+ setting.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 05:00 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45 AMG
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Funny enough, my 2016 GLA45 doesn't have the AMG Dynamic Plus Package (not listed when I got it), yet I still do have access to Race Mode. My mode knob only has I, C, S, and S+ (no R+, and nothing that reads RACE). I didn't think it was capable, but when I activate the brake HOLD, put her in manual, and pull on the paddles, my console confirms that it is in Race Mode.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 PM

Race mode should be standard on all GLA45. But as far as I know, with the dynamic plus package you get R+ mode in addition to R mode.
GLA415 likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garu View Post
Race mode should be standard on all GLA45. But as far as I know, with the dynamic plus package you get R+ mode in addition to R mode.
Ah, ok. Funny how they slip it into the Dynamic Package like it's exclusive to those willing to paying more for it. Does the R+ indicate raised top speed or suspension? Both?
post #8 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Oh, I think I am mistaken. You are just getting 'Race' mode on your control knob with the package whereas you don't have the setting if you don't have the package.

Interesting how you are still able to put the car in the race mode though...

This is from US website:

The RACE mode of AMG DYNAMIC SELECT is ideally suited for track driving by an experienced operator. It provides most direct response from various powertrain elements, while minimizing ESP® intervention. And in keeping with the performance pedigree of the package, the electronically limited top speed is unleashed to a pinnacle of 167 mph.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
GLA415, I think you are referring to launch control. Race Mode is a bit different and involves adjustments to steering, throttle, suspension, and shift points. This is a mode indicated on the center of your mode selection knob.

I was guilty of ordering just the suspension upgrade ala carte. But the LSD haunted me. I stressed for 3 months after our order went in. A bit over a month ago, just before the order locked, I upgraded to the full Dynamic package so I wouldn't feel I screwed up by omitting the LSD. The sense of relief was significant.

You appear to be worried about performance upgrades. This seems like a no brainer.

We've got 2500 miles coming up over the next couple of weeks. Our best days (through the Alps) are during break-in. But in a week I'll be able to play a bit and report my feelings on the suspension and LSD, although that will be an isolated impression without a lessor equipped car to compare to. And I promised Pam I would take it easy with her new baby!!!
post #10 of 27 Old 08-29-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
GLA415, I think you are referring to launch control.
Ah... yes, Wayne. You're probably correct. It probably is just Race Start and not Race Mode. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I honestly haven't missed not getting the Dynamic Package since I'm using it mainly for my daily commuter, but that being said, I haven't taken it out for a proper spin yet, and I fear that I might regret not getting it if i ever do so. Lol.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page