post #1 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
tranny shift problems

Hi,
I have 2015 gla45 and sometimes right after you fully stopped it make low deep sounding knock, and it feels like you got tapped from behind very slightly.
After dropping car of at the dealer 2 times ,dealer said that is normal with sport transmition in 45amg we have.
the dealer communicated with Germany amg engineers about it, i called mb service directly, and they said yes its true, its shows in their date.
i think its total bull ****.
Any ideas?
also, when i put in reverse it make metal to metal shift sound. also they said its normal.
c

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX DOWN PIPE

Last edited by turbolink; 08-05-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Acronym.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45 AMG
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I get the same in my 2016 GLA45. At first, I thought it was something bumping around in my trunk (maybe underneath where the fix-a-flat kit was). I guess this is what it is?

Not a huge deal-breaker, but I have had friends mention it when riding in my car, and I just tell them I have stuff in the back (which I though it was). If it ends up causing more problems like abnormal wear and tear, then I'd be more concerned.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
nothing new https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izIsIJKPYd4

A lot of A-class are complaining about it, it got quieter i believe in 16+, mine is a 16 and does it once in a while, a combination of selecting fwd/rev with hold function active or not.

MB took a few transmission apart for some A45s to diagnose the problem and determine it to be "normal" for now. Some say a transmission software upgrade will reduce the noise but who knows...

post #4 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM

Garage
Oh, and I also get similar metal knocking when I put it in reverse (nothing too loud or startling), but I also hear something similar in my Audi Q5, so I was just guessing it uses similar mechanics when shifting. Is it a German thing?
post #5 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 04:58 PM

maybe a DCT thing, my first DCT car so hard to tell..
post #6 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-type View Post
Woah... my 16 GLA45 is nothing like that. That sounded like grinding. I'd probably be more concerned if I heard that. Mine sounds like I have something in the back that hit the seats when coming to a stop.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLA415 View Post
Woah... my 16 GLA45 is nothing like that. That sounded like grinding. I'd probably be more concerned if I heard that. Mine sounds like I have something in the back that hit the seats when coming to a stop.
Think that "hit to the seat" feeling is when the transmission is going from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop, can be jolting in "S+" and "R" modes, less pronounced in "C". The car is a little aggressive getting ready for you to gas it and take off again.

On the other hand, a lot of people in previous yrs (A/CLA/GLA) complaint about the car "lagging" when coming to a stop and going again (think metering lights to a highway) because the car would stay in 2nd gear longer and not go down to 1st. So you cant have it both ways with mercedes i guess
post #8 of 29 Old 08-06-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Guys, something is up.
We all dig the car here obviously.
But its not normal, but whatever.
The love is blind

check out my oz wheels. i put photos them in my profile area, dont know how to navigate here.

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX DOWN PIPE
post #9 of 29 Old 12-03-2016, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caug View Post
Hi,
I have 2015 gla45 and sometimes right after you fully stopped it make low deep sounding knock, and it feels like you got tapped from behind very slightly.
After dropping car of at the dealer 2 times ,dealer said that is normal with sport transmition in 45amg we have.
the dealer communicated with Germany amg engineers about it, i called mb service directly, and they said yes its true, its shows in their date.
i think its total bull ****.
Any ideas?
also, when i put in reverse it make metal to metal shift sound. also they said its normal.
c
Hey, i got the same problem too. its like a big grind right under your seat. i find out only happens when ur slowing down to a stop(such as approaching red light), and the car is downshifting from 2nd to 1st (eco/sport), when i downshift from manual from 2nd to 1st myself, i dont hear the sound, but i do get some bounce from power. i went to dealer, they realize its an issue but so far they got no way to solve it they said..wtf?
post #10 of 29 Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 AM

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
M-type, caug, has anyone tested whether it's more pronounced in S+/R? That seems reasonable that it's a very late downshift. Possibly the transmission is holding in power band, then the ECU realizes you're actually stopping vs deep slow for corner and gives up and downshifts. Michael might be on to something. It sounds like a programming issue - the shift is too hard for the uses, but if m-type is correct, then it's a correction for a shift that was once too soft.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page