Proprietary windshield wipers?? - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Proprietary windshield wipers??

Alright, so I have a small streak on my driver's windshield wiper, probably from a leaf that I didn't remove or something - needless to say, it annoyed me, so I went and bought replacement blades. Imagine my surprise when contrary to all information available online, the 2017 GLA45 does NOT have I&L style blades, but rather a new locking "cartridge" style that I cannot find anywhere else. If you google GLA wiper blades, CLA blades, GLA OWNER'S MANUAL (on the MB site), or anything similar, you will see locking tab retention.

However, my physical and vehicle owner's guides both show this new style. The mounting is actually admirably slick. You pinch a small, ~1" plastic cover tightly and pull it "away" from the pivot point. It moves roughly ~1/4" and latches. Once it has moved, it lines up small inlets on its underside with four nubs on the outside of a roughly 1" rectangle that is pin mounted almost directly on the wiper blade itself. The blade then simply drops out towards the windscreen. It's extremely compact, sitting very close to the windshield, and very easy to operate once you figure it out. However, I've messed with a lot of wiper blades in my life as a tire monkey (and owning a mono blade W202 which was a *slightly* wider J-hook than the modern standard). I've never seen anything like this mounting.

This means the dealer's got me in a difficult position, and I don't like it.

My question to you, fellow X156 owners, is this - when did they change it? Is it with the 2016 "touchups"? Is it new for 2017? Is it only for the 45? I suspect it is new for 2017 due to the utter lack of internet knowledge, and I also suspect it is only on the 45 due to the "streamlined" nature of the mount. However, I would need data points to be sure. I especially want to see if Wayne's has it, as I think he's only a few months before mine. Additionally, the rear wiper is a similar mount setup, but a blade that puny is unlikely to be available outside of a dealer in any sort, so that doesn't irk me nor attract my attention.

Also, putting this post out here will hopefully help fellow X156 owners who are as confused as I was when I removed the factory blades.

EDIT: I will add photos when I can take them - it was nightfall by the time I got the blades today.

Last edited by SSBGLA45; 01-12-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Word edit due to language used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Curious. I'll check the 45 when I get home tonight.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Yep, I've got this same weird wiper blades. 2017 GLA45 manufactured first week of August 2016.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdPhase View Post
Alright, so I have a small streak on my driver's windshield wiper, probably from a leaf that I didn't remove or something - needless to say, it annoyed me, so I went and bought replacement blades. Imagine my surprise when contrary to all information available online, the 2017 GLA45 does NOT have I&L style blades, but rather a new locking "cartridge" style that I cannot find anywhere else. If you google GLA wiper blades, CLA blades, GLA OWNER'S MANUAL (on the MB site), or anything similar, you will see locking tab retention.

However, my physical and vehicle owner's guides both show this new style. The mounting is actually admirably slick. You pinch a small, ~1" plastic cover tightly and pull it "away" from the pivot point. It moves roughly ~1/4" and latches. Once it has moved, it lines up small inlets on its underside with four nubs on the outside of a roughly 1" rectangle that is pin mounted almost directly on the wiper blade itself. The blade then simply drops out towards the windscreen. It's extremely compact, sitting very close to the windshield, and very easy to operate once you figure it out. However, I've messed with a lot of wiper blades in my life as a tire monkey (and owning a mono blade W202 which was a *slightly* wider J-hook than the modern standard). I've never seen anything like this mounting.

This means the dealer's got me in a difficult position, and I don't like it.

My question to you, fellow X156 owners, is this - when did they change it? Is it with the 2016 "touchups"? Is it new for 2017? Is it only for the 45? I suspect it is new for 2017 due to the utter lack of internet knowledge, and I also suspect it is only on the 45 due to the "streamlined" nature of the mount. However, I would need data points to be sure. I especially want to see if Wayne's has it, as I think he's only a few months before mine. Additionally, the rear wiper is a similar mount setup, but a blade that puny is unlikely to be available outside of a dealer in any sort, so that doesn't irk me nor attract my attention.

Also, putting this post out here will hopefully help fellow X156 owners who are as confused as I was when I removed the factory blades.

EDIT: I will add photos when I can take them - it was nightfall by the time I got the blades today.
This is a pic of the wipers on my 2017 GLA 250... Are they the type you are referring to?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
As far as I know Bosch was the supplier for wiper blades and I had changed my wife's '14 CLA250 with Bosch's Icon blades. They were perfect fit!
I just checked their website, they list '14 ~ '15 CLA & GLA as compatible vehicles, but '16 onward they don't list it anymore.
So I guess MB changed the design from MY16.

I am quite shocked to see how they want to control parts even on wiper blades.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garu View Post
As far as I know Bosch was the supplier for wiper blades and I had changed my wife's '14 CLA250 with Bosch's Icon blades. They were perfect fit!
I just checked their website, they list '14 ~ '15 CLA & GLA as compatible vehicles, but '16 onward they don't list it anymore.
So I guess MB changed the design from MY16.

I am quite shocked to see how they want to control parts even on wiper blades.

I'm not convinced yet that this is the case. When I try to order OEM blades from a Mercedes-Benz online dealer, the part numbers for a 2015 GLA250 are the same as for a 2016 GLA250. I imagine that Bosch just hasn't updated their site to include all of the compatible 2016 parts. I hope this is the case. It looks like you can get a pair of OEM blades for $40 shipped if look around, so it's not crazy expensive anyway.

Jeff
post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Maybe this is one of the good things about having a 2015.

2015 GLA250 Polar Silver Black MB Tex FWD
H19 Poplar Trim 234 Blind Spot Assist
413 Panorama Sunroof 508 Becker Map Pilot
889 Keyless Go 00A Illuminated Star
068 Wheel locking bolts P01 Premium Package (Sirius, Media Interface, Heated front seats, HK Logic 7, Garage, Compass, Auto dim, 2 zone Climate
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
@CjackG: Yup, those are the same as mine.

@jeff: I used available sizing manuals for Rain-X blades, checked against parts listing for both GLA and CLA, and even checked the GLA owners manual available on Merc's site. It's possible they changed it in MY17, but it makes sense that they would have changed it in MY16 with the other minor changes. It appears from my googling that we are the leading edge of people discovering this, but that points towards a MY17 change. No way did all of the MY16 owners go a year without changing their wiper blades.

@garu: I agree, it's kinda scummy. On the other hand though, I hope the design makes it around the industry and catches on. It's *very* easy to use and compact. If the design becomes commonplace, I think the customers would win. It's just that being one of the only vehicles out there with it makes it unlikely to develop third-party support. Maybe Bosch would sell their blades on the market? I'd gladly throw them on.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
This is my 2015 AMG45 (build date 3/2015)>>>
Appears MB did make a change in the wiper attaching point

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA

Last edited by SSBGLA45; 01-14-2017 at 04:58 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page