LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-09-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red face Sound setup and Apple Carplay

Hello all, nice forum!

I just bought a new GLA with premium package (HK sound setup) and Apple Carplay function, I have some out you maybe be able to solve.

Setting up the sound with the HK logic 7 feature and playing with the equalizer just a little bit I was able to get an amazing sound using the songs on a SD card or satellite radio.

Now when I connect the iPhone to use the apple navigator, I have two problems:

1. I am not able anymore to listen the songs stored in the SD card
2. I am not sure that the configuration described above applies with the song streamed through the iPhone.

Does anyone of you faced same issues?

Thanks,
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Hello Andrea and welcome to the GLA forum. Please tell us more about your GLA model and where you are located, as we find different equipment configurations at different parts of the globe. There has been a lot of discussion, confusion, and frustration with Apple CarPlay, which you will find if you search on that in the upper righthand box. Some of our members have been delighted with it. I was one that missed it being available in the 2016 models by three months for my order. We look forward to you sharing your GLA experiences and some photos.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 28 Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you select and hold the "MEDIA" option you can the select between, SD card, connected devices, bluetooth streaming etc.

Seems to work well.

I also have SD card, and often various devices all connected at the same time.

post #4 of 28 Old 12-09-2016, 04:46 PM

Car Year & Model: 2017 GLA45
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
CarPlay takes over the entertainment system almost completely in my experience. I don't use SD cards, but I did experience the second point - the equalizer doesn't affect CarPlay at all. I'm not a huge fan, to be quite honest.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Which GLA do you have? 45? 250? Do you have to hook up your phone to the USB port all the time BTW to enable CarPlay?
post #6 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 04:34 AM

'17 45. CarPlay only works on the passenger-side USB port in the center console. Bluetooth operates as you would expect without CarPlay, and the driver-side port sees everything as a Media device. They are labelled with little icons showing which is Smartphone and which is "dumb USB".
post #7 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdPhase View Post
'17 45. CarPlay only works on the passenger-side USB port in the center console. Bluetooth operates as you would expect without CarPlay, and the driver-side port sees everything as a Media device. They are labelled with little icons showing which is Smartphone and which is "dumb USB".
So I guess the only way is to keep your phone, hooked into the USB media port, completely hidden inside the center console, which I guess is best practice when driving.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I don't have CarPlay in our GLA, but have it in my Chevy Colorado. In the truck, every USB port will connect the phone to CarPlay. This has become problematic when on a trip and I have my phone connected to CarPlay for navigation and my wife plugs hers in to charge. If we stop and and shut off the car, sometimes it tries to connect to my wife's phone we we start the truck back up, which requires disconnecting all phones, reconnecting mine first, re-establishing the navigation settings and then plugging hers back in to charge. During a quick stop at a rest area while traveling, this can become frustrating. I know disconnect my wife's phone when we stop and don't reconnect it until after the truck has been started and navigation has been re-established.

I like the way MB did it because in my truck I can't just plug the phone in to charge it without CarPlay taking over the entertainment system. It would also allow both phone to remain plugged in without one phone trying to take control from the other! I use CarPlay in my truck primarily for the navigation through Apple Maps, if I'm not needing the GPS function, I usually don't plug in my phone and just use the functions via bluetooth. Since we added the Garmin Map Pilot to our GLA, I don't really really miss CarPlay in the GLA, and like the fact I can be connected via bluetooth and still have the option to charge my phone without being connected to CarPlay. If MB didn't have the option of adding Garmin Map Pilot, CarPlay would have been a must have in the GLA!

Paul...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 GLA250, Night Black/Ash
Premium Package, Aluminum Trim
Panoramic Sunroof, Rearview Camera
Blind Spot Assist, 19" Wheels
Garmin Map Pilot GPS Ver. 6.0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 04:10 AM

My car also came with a short (~9") Lightning cable with a 90* port on the end. Pretty slick, except the housing is too big to fit into the Otterbox on my iPhone. I use the multimedia port for an iTouch with my music library on it. I will test to see if I can play from that library while using CarPlay on the other port, but I kinda doubt it. Apple's Maps implementation is.. less than stellar here in Germany, so I've found myself rarely using CarPlay. The COMAND package is much better and integrates better with the car systems. The lane guides in the instrument cluster don't work with CarPlay.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdPhase View Post
My car also came with a short (~9") Lightning cable with a 90* port on the end. Pretty slick, except the housing is too big to fit into the Otterbox on my iPhone. I use the multimedia port for an iTouch with my music library on it. I will test to see if I can play from that library while using CarPlay on the other port, but I kinda doubt it. Apple's Maps implementation is.. less than stellar here in Germany, so I've found myself rarely using CarPlay. The COMAND package is much better and integrates better with the car systems. The lane guides in the instrument cluster don't work with CarPlay.
Apple maps isn't the best here in the US either. I really wish Apple would open CarPlay to more outside sources, such as Waze, Google maps or Sygic, their navigation is much more robust, and would be a great addition to CarPlay.

The Garmin Map Pilot is great in our GLA, and if our next MB has CarPlay, and Apple hasn't opened CarPlay to other sources, I'd probably add it again. Unfortunately, I don't have that option in my truck, so for now, I'm stuck with Apple Maps, or my Garmin 2557 GPS.

Paul...

2016 GLA250, Night Black/Ash
Premium Package, Aluminum Trim
Panoramic Sunroof, Rearview Camera
Blind Spot Assist, 19" Wheels
Garmin Map Pilot GPS Ver. 6.0

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page