7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-27-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Done with Mercedes Benz

After quite lengthy unsuccessful efforts to get Mercedes Benz to address the fuel dilution to the engine oil issue on my wife's GLA (do a search if you need more info - I also have numerous other items of information I did not post), we have disposed of the car and will not be purchasing another MB vehicle again. If only MB corporate had been honest and said 'yes, this is a known phenomenon that has no remedy' instead of 'there is no problem,' perhaps I could have resigned myself to it. But their numerous and continued denials, obfuscations and misrepresentations have left me with no respect for the organization, the people therein, or their product. (As for the local dealer's participation in the charade, I will not be purchasing any of his remaining brands - VW, Nissan, Audi, Porsche, Volvo - from him.) For what it is worth, we have purchased a vehicle that does not have a direct injection engine - a difficult task indeed.

For those of you who were truly concerned about this aspect of the MB experience, I wish you the best in your ownership journey. To those of you who scorned me because I was not into MB ownership for the culture, lifestyle, prestige and status aspects, I trust that you will celebrate my departure. I know I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-27-2016, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is no question in my mind that, of the three main higher end European producers (BMW, Audi, MB and Volvo) MB's quality has fallen the most in the past 5-10 years, particularly in the lower end vehicles like the GLA. Between ourselves and our two children, we have bought 5 vehicles from the aforementioned brand set in the past 3 years. The view of our set is:
> Audi had improved the most. Trim parts, seats et cetera are super;
> Volvo is the unsung hero. Great seats, quality trim parts, underrated performance (the T6 AWD S60 is great car) and super paint but they are heavy and burn more gas (though it is regular and not premium). In our market area (Toronto), dealer support is much better than MB or BMW and on par with Audi which is very good during the 3-4 year leases we normally do
> BMW is not the ultimate driving machine it was even 3 years ago. The new lower priced cars are not great and the 2.8 four cylinder turbo motor is not a winner. The new X1, 2.8i 8 speed automatic is about the same dog the GLA 250 is
> MB GLA assembly is not bad but the base engine with the 7 speed twin clutch is really not competetive with the Audi Q3. The Q3's fit and finish are at least one step above MB and likely two (BMW is between)

WTS, we do love our relartively recent 2016 AMG45, however the ill fitting trim parts and paint do not hold a candle to our Volvo S60 manufacturing quality and, frankly, detract from an otherwise positive ownerhsip experience thus far.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-27-2016, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I completely know that Filling.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-28-2016, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I rarely post but this one deserves a reply... the OP's posted UOA is actually quite good. I bet the gas dilution is typical of frequent short drives. Most engines have it, but goes unnoticed because an oil analysis not performed. This sounds like a tempest in a teapot. Good luck to the OP and his new engine free of gas dilution.
rayman likes this.

Last edited by GLAowner; 11-28-2016 at 01:08 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-28-2016, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you not got the oil checked would the car be performing ok? If so, why bother getting it checked, we never bother in the UK. (e.g. I've never known anyone that has done so)

Destroyer of world peace by AMG performance exhaust.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
doyall, thanks for your posts and efforts! The longest I have run a car was an Acura Legend that made it to 268k miles without any oil burning (although I had to change a lot of gaskets to control oil leaks). I sold it because the paint was oxidizing and not any engine issues

I have the GLA45 but plan to change the oil more frequently at 5k miles.

I agree that MB should address any issues and modify their scheduled maintenance schedule as needed.

As an example, Porsche modified their scheduled oil changes from 10k to 5k on my wife's 2013 Cayenne Diesel. Their reasoning was because US diesel is dirtier than the EU diesel.

In any case, my thought is that fully synthetic oil changed at 5k should more than address any potential fuel dilution issues. I did the same thing with my Audi RS6 and never had any wear issues up until I traded it in for the GLA45.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this approach. Incidentally, I posted that I will be installing a quick valve on my GLA45 as I have done for many years on other cars, making the oil change a breeze. http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merce...-change-2.html

- 2016 GLA45 AMG, Cocoa Brown outside, Auburn Brown inside, 20 inch AMG Wheels, Perf. Exhaust & Steering, Pano roof, AMG sport seats, Aero Kit, Dynamic Plus, Multimedia, Driver Assistance
- 2010 Dodge Ram 3500, mega cab, black inside and out
- 2012 Porsche 911s Cabriolet (991.1)
post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Rayman ... I am figuring on 5K between oil changes once our 45 arrives. I do the same on my 997.2 and have not burned any oil in the 53K miles I've put on over the last couple years (the car had 35K when I took over stewardship in September 2014).

Engineers want frequent oil changes for obvious reasons. Marketers want as little work as possible to facilitate sales. So I figure that after negotiations, the advised intervals are really what is needed to get past warranty safely. A simple divide by two works for me.
rayman likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
I changed the oil in our GLA45 at 1200 miles and plan to change every 3000 there after. This forum is good for seeing varying opinions and of course if it's done respectfully is always welcome.
rayman likes this.

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA
post #9 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 PM

I actually think that 5k mile oil changes is not necessary. For the most part these engines run under 2kRPM and oil should last well into 10k miles. Sure, for those whose majority of miles are city miles with stop and go and short drives, sure, change at 5k miles or even earlier. Same for those who live in the 5k range of the tach - but i doubt here will not be many.
rayman likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
GLAowner makes good points.

On my 997.2 I did my first oil change at 2K miles and realized the oil was fresh. So I extended it out a thousand miles at a time. By the time I got to 5K I decided not to go further.

This car gets a combination of 55 mile round trip daily commutes with spirited driving and longer trips (3600 miles of mostly twisties in 8 days last June, 700 miles of mountain passes one day a few weeks ago) mixed between.

The 997.2 gets used. Its schedule was discovered over time.

The 45 will get fresh oil when it arrives (at 2500 miles). This first drain will be break in oil so it doesn't mean much unless chunks come out. I will cut the filter open just in case.

The rear diff oil will get changed as well.

The next change will be at another 2.5K, and it is my supposition that 5K will be where I eventually land.

Why? Because I see parallels between the 45 and the 997.2. But right now, all I've got is speculation.

Of course, as GLAowner points out, driving styles will make a difference.

I've bought three filters and a dozen crush washers. I got diff oil from MB. The Mobil 1 0W40 for the 997.2 will be used in the 45. Whenever I'm near a Walmart I clean out their inventory of 5 quart jugs. I've got 7 jugs still.

Any motor putting out the HP per liter that the 45 does needs to be cared for with a bit of extra attention IMHO. DIY helps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page