• 2 Post By SSBGLA45

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Blind Spot Assist Inoperative

Has anyone experienced having the message "Blind Spot Assist Inoperative" show up more than once?

I've owned my GLA 250 4Matic for almost a year and have had the message pop up 3 times. Each time I took it in for service, nothing was repaired. Iím told the code has to be present in the vehicleís computer before they can work on it. I get that part, but has anyone gone in for service where the dealership tried something else other than hook up the car to the computer hoping to pull a code or having the shop foreman take the vehicle for an extended road test (fancy way of saying, Iím driving your car home)?

The first 2 times, the message popped up but went away within a couple of minutes. The 3rd incident, the message stayed long enough for me to take a photo BUT the computer still didnít register a code. Very frustrating!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2016, 01:15 AM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45 AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Only solution I can think of is to get a cheap OBD scanner and get the code yourself when it happens. From there they may be able to figure out what the problem is. I see cheap ones around here (U.S.) for around $15USD.
Enklein likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Agree with GLA415...OBD2 code reader is an excellent tool to own. Allows you to trouble shoot all DTCs/fault codes and a BIG advantage of that is you can go to the dealer/shop with info in hand so there can not have phooey blown at you. You can also clear DTCs such as an erratic CEL.

One thing to watch for is that the code reader is a CAN OBD2 type (The CAN Bus is an automotive bus developed by Robert Bosch. CAN is a serial bus protocol to connect individual systems and sensors as an alternative to conventional multi-wire looms. It allows automotive components to communicate on a single or dual-wire networked data bus up to 1Mbps.) Mercedes Benz was an earlier adopter of this communication protocol and thus the reader must be CAN compliant. Not all code reads are CAN compatible.
Enklein and GLA415 like this.

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA

Last edited by SSBGLA45; 08-22-2016 at 11:26 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2016, 11:18 AM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45 AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBGLA45 View Post
Mercedes Benz was an earlier adopter of this communication protocol and thus the reader must be CAN compliant
Great advice. I was thinking of getting one for myself. Thanks, SSB!
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently had the collision avoidance alert system message come up that it was in operable. Had to take it back to the dealer where they tell me the Vin number was not present in the module so they had to reprogram it. Probably something like that is happening to you
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLA415 View Post
Only solution I can think of is to get a cheap OBD scanner and get the code yourself when it happens. From there they may be able to figure out what the problem is. I see cheap ones around here (U.S.) for around $15USD.
That's a great idea. Should save me from all the frustration from going back and forth! Thanks!
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
I recently had the collision avoidance alert system message come up that it was in operable. Had to take it back to the dealer where they tell me the Vin number was not present in the module so they had to reprogram it. Probably something like that is happening to you
Not sure but worth asking when I take it back... Thanks!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBGLA45 View Post
Agree with GLA415...OBD2 code reader is an excellent tool to own. Allows you to trouble shoot all DTCs/fault codes and a BIG advantage of that is you can go to the dealer/shop with info in hand so there can not have phooey blown at you. You can also clear DTCs such as an erratic CEL.

One thing to watch for is that the code reader is a CAN OBD2 type (The CAN Bus is an automotive bus developed by Robert Bosch. CAN is a serial bus protocol to connect individual systems and sensors as an alternative to conventional multi-wire looms. It allows automotive components to communicate on a single or dual-wire networked data bus up to 1Mbps.) Mercedes Benz was an earlier adopter of this communication protocol and thus the reader must be CAN compliant. Not all code reads are CAN compatible.
Thanks for the tip! Will make sure it's a CAN OBD2 type.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got the same message yesterday 3 times but went out in a minute. Will plug in a CAN scanner see any code on it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page