5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone regret their purchase?

I am one of those people that second guess every big decision I make. I have bought 28 vehicles in past 30 years. What can I say, I love cars. Now that includes purchasing cars for the wife and kids plus I have always had a fun car. So when my daughter's car suddenly died on her three weeks ago, I gave my daughter my car and needed a new one. I took ten days to look at what I might think I want as my daily driver. It came down to the new 2016 BMW X1 or 2016 GLA. I was not impressed with the BMW and test drove the GLA three different times. I loved the car but being 6'3" the GLA seems a little small. After working on a deal, I decided to leased the GLA. I have owned it for two weeks and it is great around town however I am working on a project the next two years out of town so I have three hour drive two times per week. After driving it four times, I notice my back and legs ache. So in showing a guy at work my new car yesterday he asked me why I did not buy the new GLC, it's a bit larger and a base model would be around the same price. So after checking around dealers locally, I found a GLC for $1,800 more than I paid for my GLA. So now my head hurts and I wonder why I did not look into things better, only blaming myself. I never saw and heard of a GLC. Looking online the GLA looks much sporty, more like a sports car than GLC looks like a station wagon. However looking on the MB website the GLC interior does seem like it's more luxury styling. So do I deal with my craziness in my head for the next couple years and deal with my long drives or try to work a deal to get a GLC which will cost me thousands? Which asking everyone's option, I know there is really no right answer. Sorry for the long post but thanks for taking the time to read it. Take care, Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I do not understand why you feel tired in a GLC. Are you sitting correctly? I see a lot of people driving laid back very far from the steering wheel - that is a very bad driving position both from ergonomic and sport driving perspectives.

On MB's SUV family the GLA and the GL are the two extremes. The GLA emphasizes Sport in SUV, whereas the GL emphasizes Utility. Up in the utility range the GLC is more Utility and less Sport. Maybe the GLC is what you need. Talk with your dealer to swap leases or transact your current lease on lease trader.com and get a GLC.

Last edited by GLAowner; 03-04-2016 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Are you aware of the front seat extensions in the 2016 GLA? They pull out manually. Might help your leg situation.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights

post #4 of 43 Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks both of you for the reply and some info. I do know the seats have the extension and I have used that on my long drive, it helps some. My seat is not all the way back but is as low as it can go. I think I am just over thinking things. I went out today a test drove a GLC and it is larger for sure but missing the smaller sporty feel. I told the salesman I was looking for the differences between the GLC and GLA. He was really pushing the GLC that it is much more luxury and a higher end vehicle but I got to tell you I like my GLA just as much. The base model GLC with keyless go and heated front seats is $3,000 more then my GLA plus I loose my sunroof, Apple car play and my upgraded stereo system. The GLC to me is a great family car but the GLA is sporty and unique, so I am staying with the GLA. I will be getting something new in a couple years when my lease is up. Maybe the GLC coupe will come out and be that sporty, unique car but for now I am going to imbrace the GLA and enjoy it. Thanks, Frank
post #5 of 43 Old 03-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
having only 600 miles on my GLA250, I do wish I just dropped the money down for a GLA45...thats my only regret but my wife still won't let me do it. I personally didn't like the GLC and was actually looking for a 15' GLK and only 1 dealership nearby had the GLK but it was Bluetec. I drove that and the high end power was nonexistent so being a 80% highway driver, that car wasn't for me, plus it was $11,000 more then my GLA with what i feel had less options.

But in your situation, honestly you have to see what fits you best. Maybe you should look into the LR Evoque or Acura RDX. I thought the RDX was nice and larger then the GLA. I didn't like the X1 either. Hope you grow to love your GLA or at least satisfy yourself and get something that you can keep for awhile.
post #6 of 43 Old 03-05-2016, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Wait for the GLC43? 63? just wait.... though its gonna be in the 70-80k range for a decently equipped one.
post #7 of 43 Old 03-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
As to seat comfort, have you played around with the seat's lumbar support?
You can increase or decrease it and adjust it up or down. It takes some trial and error to get it just right.

2016 GLA 250 4Matic, Cirrus White, Ash MB-Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg, Panorama Sunroof, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, Blind Spot Assist, Power Passenger Seat with Memory
Mods: Wind & Fire Ghost Lights, Mercedes Reversible Rear Floor Mat, BlackLine Chrome Door Lock Pins, Mercedes Wheel Changing Kit, Stainless Steel Sport Petal Pads
Other Ride: 2012 SLK 350, Mars Red, Ash, etc.
post #8 of 43 Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Same here. It took me a while to get the lumbar support right. But, once in place it made the seat much more comfortable. This small button plays a big role.

2016 GLA 250 4MATIC, cocoa brown, premium, 19" wheels, multimedia, blind assist, etc.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-07-2016, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-type View Post
Wait for the GLC43? 63? just wait.... though its gonna be in the 70-80k range for a decently equipped one.
You mean this one?

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/futur...2016_GLC_Coupe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-Mercedes-Benz-GLC-Coupe-Concept-12.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	8570  
apekgoh likes this.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm 6'-3" also....what I did was lower the seat all the way, then raise the front seat edge until I had good thigh support...now very comfortable plus great lower back support (since my thighs are supported now)...I've taken a couple long trips...7 hours...no back pain at all
apekgoh likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page