LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 10-20-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GLA 45 in Surrey 2017ed Mountain Grey

Hi all,
After some disappointing production line delays and poor information (apparently finding out 1 day before the car was due to be delivered at the dealership, i find it is still on a production line in Germany), i had to give up my build and try and find a second hand or brand new stock car. Anyhow long story short, my dealer came through with this little beauty (hopefully the pic will upload). It had just arrived in the country and was pre-reg new.

Main spec:
Mountain grey
Premium pack (ie sunroof, harman Kardon,)
COMAND online (including android auto and 8 inch screen, mercedes me, remote online etc)
20 inch alloys with red calipers.
AMG Exclusive package (black leather seats with red perforations)
Intelligent lighting system
Performance Exhaust
AMG Night Package (black rims and other black bits here and there).
Memory package
Reversing camera.
Keyless Go
Traffic sign assist
etc

What the car DOESN'T have and i'm gobsmacked that whoever chose the spec took OFF the blind spot assist which was a standard feature!!!! Anyhow, I'll have to get used to exorcist level head turning now when i change into a passenger side line. Rear visibility isnt great, but isnt terrible.

Early thoughts - the car feels like a tank, the sports suspension is quite hard but not too hard for my heavily pregnant wife. she seems fine with it. Its a bit crashy on some of the bad roads here, but i dont see this as a negative point.
I had real trouble working out where the passenger side of the car ends because it is quite wide. we've got some really narrow roads and i must admit i had some struggles and scraped the front passenger rim twice now. Yesterday though I managed to work out that the raised hump on the right side of the bumper serves to let me know perfectly where the centre of the car is and now maneuvering is much easier as i know where to aim the car and as long as the cap i'm aiming the car into isnt too narrow then i'm confident that i'll easily fit in there.

One of the most impressive aspects of the car is the engine sound with the performance exhaust, even when the exhaust is "turned off" using the dash button. Generally the car is quiet enough but i do like hearing those exhaust notes when i down shift, the car almost burbles sometimes

The engine is the best part of this car, it really is fantastic and the 380 horses are available on I love that the torque is available in abundance in comfort mode too.

I really like that i can take over shifting of gears manually even in comfort mode. as long as i keep shifting and accelerating etc, the auto transmission lets me play around and then waits a few seconds before the computer takes over. Very very nice mercedes.

Auto start/stop - I like the feature but ive watched youtube videos stating that you should not turn off a turbo engine unless it has cooled a bit and i wonder whether having this feature on impacts that if ive been driving the car hard prior to it kicking in. Speaking of engine run-in, i had no stickers on my vehicle providing guidance on how to drive for the 1st 1000 miles. i suppose merc could still expect me to read the manual so the max ive revved the car is 4,500 for a brief couple of seconds.

I'm still getting used to COMAND. I'm not quite used to it yet but I can see it being a high quality infotainment system. The navigation can be a bit meh but seems solid overall. no complaints there and good effort merc.

The seats are very comfortable and the exclusive package seats are divine. the car looks absolutely great on the inside. really high quality.

The next step is for me to get a tracker installed as i'm sure there are quite a few prying eyes around and there will be an attempt or two to nick the vehicle.

The intelligent lighting system is grand, really great and intuitive, points low enough not to blind pedestrians but also gives great visibility. The car looks great with the LED running lights.

Overall, its the best car i've owned and driven. top quality vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Good review, the front hump takes some time getting used to, even after 7-8 ownership i still cant park straight between the lines 100% of the time.
post #3 of 49 Old 10-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45 AMG
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Congrats on the new ride!!!

Quote:
Auto start/stop - I like the feature but ive watched youtube videos stating that you should not turn off a turbo engine unless it has cooled a bit and i wonder whether having this feature on impacts that if ive been driving the car hard prior to it kicking in.
Apparently when you turn off the engine, even when parking and powering down the vehicle, there are fans that stay on to continuously cool down the turbo, so I'm assuming it's why they kept the start/stop feature to the 45s. I personally don't use the feature, but that may help reassure some 45 owners who do.

I agree with the poor rearview in both the center and side mirrors. I've been looking to get a convex attachable mirror for my center and some tiny stick-on ones for the sides... at least for the drivers side. I have been surprised by a couple of drivers who lane-change into my drivers side behind me the same time I am. Even when I look over my shoulder, the huge pillar just doesn't give me enough visibility. Better safe than sorry.

2016 GLA45 | Bay Area, CA (USA) __🚗 💨💨💨 ___
Night Black, Black Leather Interior, Carbon Fiber Trim
Black 20" Wheels, Red Calipers, Performance Seats + Exhaust
Premium + Interior + Multimedia Packages... and more

post #4 of 49 Old 10-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-type View Post
... the front hump takes some time getting used to, even after 7-8 ownership i still cant park straight between the lines 100% of the time.
All this time I just thought it was my bad eyesight. I must join the club of those unable to get the GLA straight between the lines in a parking place, nor centered. The body lines and contours set up perspective distortions that are challenging! After almost a year I still have not adjusted to it. My biggest disappointment on ordering our GLA250 was not recognizing, and our sales rep not letting us know, we had to get the Parktronic to get the sensors that would help in some cases. The only other disappointment was production before Apple CarPlay came available.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #5 of 49 Old 10-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
I hated getting the Parktronic (now called Park Assist) but since I was not the primary driver, I wanted the distance sensors. This was an add on I wanted for Pam.

I figured I'd be embarrassed to need them, and there was no way my manliness would let me acknowledge them.

And as much as I doubted their usefulness I must say, they are worth every dollar spent to have them.

Oh, and the Parktronic is pretty neat too 8)
post #6 of 49 Old 10-23-2016, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hi from another very recent 45 owner.

I do believe your car was one I considered?, the spec matches it at least.

I hear you on he width thing, it does seem wide when driving it but when I checked the dimensions i found it slighty narrower than my previous car, it still feels a foot wider though.

Did you find the running-in details?
Right_mr likes this.
post #7 of 49 Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes.AMG View Post
Hi from another very recent 45 owner.

I do believe your car was one I considered?, the spec matches it at least.

I hear you on he width thing, it does seem wide when driving it but when I checked the dimensions i found it slighty narrower than my previous car, it still feels a foot wider though.

Did you find the running-in details?

Hah! it could well be that the car i eventually took is one you considered. I got mine from Sandown, however they probably have access to the entire UK stock?

What did you go with in the end, spec wise?
post #8 of 49 Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Right_mr;128281]Hah! it could well be that the car i eventually took is one you considered. I got mine from Sandown, however they probably have access to the entire UK stock?

What did you go with in the end, spec wise?[/QUOTE

The Mountain Grey one I was offered ended up in the Swindon showroom, it arrived the day I collected mine
but was gone very soon after.

At the time of choosing, there was "your" Grey one and a Red one, with Prem pack, Night pack, Aero Kit & Louder exhaust. I debated for some time and decided I would be a Boy Racer & get the Red one with wing.

Ideally I wanted the Alacantara seats, the aluminium dash, prem pack and night pack. Esentially I had to decide between Wing or the Extra Options. It was a difficult choice as I "usually" prefer silver/grey cars, but I thought "in for penny" with the Red & Black look on the inside & out.

If I had a blank canvas of choice or the patience to wait, I would have same specs, but with the metallic bottle green colour. "I love that colour"
Right_mr and TheThirdPhase like this.
post #9 of 49 Old 10-24-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hahaha - yes absolutely, I love that green colour but my Mrs said "over my dead body" but probably meant over my dead body rather than hers lol

This one's definitely slightly less boy racer. I saw a red GLA 200 or 220 CDi, looked great in red, really great colour. I was tempted by the green colour but the Mrs vetoed that. After all, she has to drive it too. Of which, she's driven it exactly 0 times so far. I'll make sure she gets to have a go this evening.

Re -Run in details
i didnt find any of those in the vehicle. There was no sticker etc. The valet guy also rinsed the car 9 miles before i picked it up. Cheeky sod. I couldnt really say anything as i had asked for the tank to be filled before i picked it up. No wonder he kept saying what a lovely car it was. Cheeky... That said i've read a heap of posts regarding the whole "keep revs below 4,500" and dont push it too hard till it has run 1k miles then gradually push it up. So far it's only gone 5k revs this one time, other times i keep it below the 4.5k. When i'm cruising i regularly change gear manually to take up to 2000, 3000, 3,500 revs and once in a while 4,000 for a few seconds. Max speed ive taken it is around 75 mph. Did you find or were you given any run-in advice by the dealer?

THOUGHTS ON THE VEHICLE SO FAR
week 1 summary so after doing around 240 miles mainly in an urban setting , here are my early thoughts on the vehicle. of course these will change over time.

my street is terrible to drive this car. it is single Lane and curves and cars always park really badly along the edge and three times I've now scraped my passenger side rims on the curb which is quite low. The road meanders and some cars eally look like they stick out too much into my path. Lesson to self, slow down! My previous car was 20cm narrower and I could always easily fit it but I go into unconscious / muscle memory mode when approaching my house. I’ll need to consciously change my driving habits or I'll have to eventually claim on my rim insurance.

the looks.
I think the way the car looks is super aggressive. I had parked it next to my cousins two 5 series super smart BMWs and this car’s design is truly bonkers by comparison. it is really unorthodox and the AMG styling with the 20 inch rims and red calipers and aggressive curves just make it look like a brute. safe to say the car garners a lot of attention at least. I had gotten merc to take off the insignia on the back off so all we have is the round merc emblem. so not a lot of people seem to know what model the car is. if I was dropping a load of cash on an s class or E class I wouldn't really get anywhere near the looks I get in this one. I've seen some driver envy also. this dude in a massive rangerover was just staring down into the car and cockpit at some red lights. clear looks of what on earth is that thing you're driving. the best was some guy at the petrol station with a very nice looking merc just stopped got his Mrs in the passenger side to just gawp at the car for about 8 or 9 seconds before driving off. So there's a lot of what the **** is that going on. I have cctv as well so I get lots of people turning their heads as they walk past and one or two actually giving the car and interior a full 2 minute inspection lol.

Driving Modes
The engine and power delivery are truly immense. And the throttle response in comfort mode is quite decent for when I need some power I just push the pedal down and within around half a second the throttle kicks in. the transmission is very good. a few reviewers on the net mentioned that this was the weak point of the car but I feel they may be raising the bar way too high here. I've given sport mode and sport plus a try as well but am conscious of engine break in guidelines so always shift up at around 4000 revs. In fact the highest I've revved the car is 5k and this was in comfort mode when I floored the pedal around 2/3rd of the way.
either way I always come back to comfort mode as the main mode at this early stage of ownership.

Steering
While in comfort mode and driving slowly, steering the vehicle can be a bit of a challenge and seem to need to give the steering wheel constant input. The steering wheel almost fights me by constantly trying to centre while i’m trying to keep it at an angle. Going upwards of 50mph though, the steering really stiffens and things become much easier even in comfort mode.

Given Merc have had lane departure warning systems (albeit in trucks) for around 16 years, I’m a bit umimpressed that this isnt a standard option on vehicles.

RATTLING
I've had a few rattle issues. Firstly the COMAND system resonates with the exhaust sound at lowe revs. This can only be sorted by my putting a hand on the system. There seems to be a bit of rattle sometimes at the right door also. Not a major issue, but it is certainly present. I guess this is a car and not a house s some issues like this are probably to be expected.

motorway driving and start / stop driving in traffic are extremely easy
BRAKES ARE TOO POTENT AND BLIND SPOTS!
I've almost had 2 accidents in 6 days. both on the same day. I was on the slip road from the m25 to the M4 and the cars in front kept accelerating and braking sharply and the first time that happened I switched on my hazards to warn the driver behind. anyhow , this chap really wasn't interested in driving carefully and I suppose I was not regulating my speed gradually from start to halt and i was pretty much following what the guys ahead were doing and as soon as I braked the car behind had to go onto the hard shoulder or he would have hit the back of my car. anyhow the car behind him then moved directly behind me and then this idiot did the same thing with that car and again he was on the hard shoulder a second time at a later braking session.

I then drove around for ages and we went to a pub to eat and this time my carelessness almost had me hit a stationary parked car when reversing. I didn't see it in my blind spot and it is just lucky that I braked just in time. instead of using the rear camera to reverse and turn I looked through the rear window. with this car it is so important to keep your foot on the brake when reversing as it starts to pick up speed and also use the mirrors and camera rather than the over the shoulder view which is quite poor. phew. that was close !!! the warning beeps suddenly started chiming and then were continuous within a second !!! and I braked and thought why the **** is the car beeping hahahah only through the side mirror did I see a silver car. goddamn that was close. lesson learnt !!!

I think overall the sensors could really start earning or beeping much much sooner but I appreciate there's some driver incompetence here at play but it would be good to be able to tweak sensitivity.

NAVIGATION SYSTEM

Overall this week, i've also taken the car offroad (not planned). I stuck a POI near dorking and selected it and lo and behold, my laziness was soon exposed. I ended up driving on roads like these... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.20...6!9m2!1b1!2i52. Single lane, loose gravel, pitch black, really hilly and completely in the middle of nowhere!

The navigation system generally is very good indeed. No complaints. I havent been tempted to stick co-pilot or google maps on my phone instead.

ANDROID AUTO
Ive tried and tried and tried to set this up... no luck so far!
post #10 of 49 Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45 AMG
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_mr View Post
Re -Run in details
i didnt find any of those in the vehicle. There was no sticker etc. The valet guy also rinsed the car 9 miles before i picked it up. Cheeky sod. I couldnt really say anything as i had asked for the tank to be filled before i picked it up. No wonder he kept saying what a lovely car it was. Cheeky... That said i've read a heap of posts regarding the whole "keep revs below 4,500" and dont push it too hard till it has run 1k miles then gradually push it up. So far it's only gone 5k revs this one time, other times i keep it below the 4.5k. When i'm cruising i regularly change gear manually to take up to 2000, 3000, 3,500 revs and once in a while 4,000 for a few seconds. Max speed ive taken it is around 75 mph. Did you find or were you given any run-in advice by the dealer?
My salesman told me as we were walking out to the car, but I can see how it can be easily overlooked. I also had a sticker high on my windshield with the details. It looked like this one:

Right_mr likes this.

2016 GLA45 | Bay Area, CA (USA) __🚗 💨💨💨 ___
Night Black, Black Leather Interior, Carbon Fiber Trim
Black 20" Wheels, Red Calipers, Performance Seats + Exhaust
Premium + Interior + Multimedia Packages... and more

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page