Key Battery - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key Battery

Wife just called to tell me that the GLA reported that the key battery needs to be replaced. Has anyone had that yet? If so, can I just replace the battery with one from walmart or some other cheap source without going back to dealer?

cirrus white, tan MB tex, P1, multi-media, panoramic sunroof, illuminated star, bi-xenon, blind spot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
No need to go to dealer…piece of cake to change out battery.

Pop off (gently prior up the bottom (wide part) of the the rear cover (meaning the side that does not have the buttons) and this will expose the battery compartment. The battery you need is a CR2025 which you can get pretty much anywhere.

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA
post #3 of 18 Old 01-13-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
fantastic! thanks

cirrus white, tan MB tex, P1, multi-media, panoramic sunroof, illuminated star, bi-xenon, blind spot

post #4 of 18 Old 01-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Agree with SSBGLA45, very easy to do. And when you go to Walmart or wherever, get an extra battery to keep in the GLA. If you have Keyless Go they tend to discharge fast...about a year or less on our C-Class per key fob battery. Interestingly, we've noted when one battery goes, the other key fob's battery goes about the same time.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #5 of 18 Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Just changed the battery for the 2nd time in 8 months of ownership. Keyless Go.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
There are video's online (youtube) that show you how do do it. There is a trick you can do to use the emergency key to pop it out.

'15 GLA45 Cirrus White,Black MB Tex,Pano,Prem Pkg,MM Pkg,Perf Seats,Perf Exhaust,20" Black 10 Spoke Wheels
Current Cars: '15 Mercedes GLA45, '14 Mercedes B250 Electric Drive, '08 Honda Odyssey,'08 Honda Fit, '03 Honda Civic Si
Previous Cars: '14 Mercedes CLA250, '12 Honda Civic Si, '03 Honda Odyssey, '01 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic LX, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88
post #7 of 18 Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Wow, surprised at how quickly the battery discharges with Keyless Go. We don't have that on either of our Mercedes, but on my wife's previous VW with their version of Keyless Go the battery lasted for about two years.

When it comes to options like Keyless Go I can be somewhat of a Luddite. I like being ably to turn or move something mechanical to start the car. Even though I realize that the "start" position on my GLA simply drives a relay making it much like pushing the Keyless Go start button. Still like turbolink suggested, would keep an extra in the car for emergencies.

'15 GLA250 4Matic, white, sport package, xenons, panoramic sun roof, walnut dash, beige MB tex with heat, premium package, rear camera
'13 GLK350 4Matic (wife's),
'01 Porsche Boxster S,
1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan. Frame off restoration - all work done by me.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster986S View Post
Wow, surprised at how quickly the battery discharges with Keyless Go. We don't have that on either of our Mercedes, but on my wife's previous VW with their version of Keyless Go the battery lasted for about two years.

When it comes to options like Keyless Go I can be somewhat of a Luddite. I like being ably to turn or move something mechanical to start the car. Even though I realize that the "start" position on my GLA simply drives a relay making it much like pushing the Keyless Go start button. Still like turbolink suggested, would keep an extra in the car for emergencies.
Our sales rep tipped us off when delivering our C-Class in 2012, the constant interrogation of the key fobs for Keyless Go drags them down. Otherwise, I've found most key fob batteries in the past last multiple years, rarely if ever replaced one.

His second admonishment was when you get the warning, don't wait, change it ASAP, because it goes dead fast once you get that. We found out with one of our two key fobs that was very true, the first time they went out.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #9 of 18 Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I still have the original MB batteries in my 2005 C240 fobs! A decade and still clicking!
post #10 of 18 Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Funny thing, I've been buying fob batteries for years at everywhere BUT the dealer, the other day I was buying a AMG license plate frame for my GLA45AMG and overheard another customer asking for a battery, the guy brought out battery and said he'd install it, then said it would be 75 cents, the customer was shocked and I was surprised. I asked the counter guy why 75 cents and he said it was just good customer service. I've been paying around $5 for batteries but all future ones will be bought at my dealership. However the carbon fiber frame was $40 ��

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page